doesnt make much sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
had eve meal of chips, pork steak, green beans + peppers & couple potato skins. sounds quite a bit i know, but the potato skins were gonna go off soon so i had an excuse!

before meal was 11.2 worked out the carbs + a bit of correction & took the amount, 4 hrs later was 6.7 which was good, took BI injection & went to bed. in the morning it was 15.8!

i cannot work that one out at all?

Not an expert, but I think the fat in the meal slows the rate the carbs are released, hence the spike later than expected.

Chips and potatoe skins may have popped up after you went to bed........

I assume you dont suffer from dawn phenomonon.....?

Yep, what Caroline said - sounds like a delayed spike in carbs due to the fat content.

yeah that does sound like the only possible explanation, although they didnt do that when i had the half of the packet on tuesday, although alcohol had been consumed then, so maybe they counter acted each other?

Look on it as a very unique chance to learn how our bodies work, and I have learned a lot in the last four years...

Definitely due to the fat in the chips and pork steak having a delayed effect in digesting the carbs in your meal. Ask your diabetes nurse for advice on splitting your QA insulin on the occasions when you eat a high fat meal, some type 1's use this approach to counter-balance the increase in bg 4-5 hours later. Toby.

Definitely due to the fat in the chips and pork steak having a delayed effect in digesting the carbs in your meal. Ask your diabetes nurse for advice on splitting your QA insulin on the occasions when you eat a high fat meal, some type 1's use this approach to counter-balance the increase in bg 4-5 hours later. Toby.

i only tend to split the dose when having pizza or a chip shop meal. cant really see the need to do a split for what i had, although maybe i am wrong judging by this...

Not sure I am qualified to offer this as a type 2, but if in doubt about splitting, speak to doctor or DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back