Doesn’t this suggest resistance? ( 12 units ( plus extra 4 hour before ) for a tuna mayo jacket potato plus peas and sweet corn. ( no hypos .)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upset Racoon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
and here are my results

I’m supposedly type 1 , no way , Ok i had ketones upon diagnosis but , i always guess when carb counting , i hypo hardly ever and it seems to be ok . Why???

The spike was from my breakfast which i ate around 2 pm . i had four units ( which from reading other users info , for 4 oatcakes with patte on, should have been ok right ?? nope , not me . i had four and it went to 13, so clearly not enough !!

my bolus is 16 .

Thank you 🙂

Attachments

• 4E2C365D-5709-45FF-9D96-B203DAFEB27E.png
    4E2C365D-5709-45FF-9D96-B203DAFEB27E.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi

Looking at your other posts you seem to not be in agreement with your Type 1 diagnosis. Is there some reason for that.
Since you say that you rarely hypo then you clearly need the insulin you are using. What is it about being Type 1 that upsets you so much that you dispute the quite significant diagnostic signs and tests?
You are still on a relatively low dose of basal insulin and carb to insulin ratios for meals can vary quite considerably even between Type 1 diabetics and breakfast ratios are usually the highest because most of us are more insulin resistant in the morning and the insulin we inject has to fight against Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the Floor syndrome where the liver pumps out surplus glucose when we get up to give us energy to start our day.

Your graph shows that you are managing things really well so you should be quite pleased with yourself, especially if you are not carb counting. You must have good intuition. As @BennyG suggests the height of the peak is down to timing rather than not enough insulin. How long in advance of eating did you inject?

I’m not sure I understand where the other 12 units come in. Was this also bolus (short acting) insulin, or was it your basal (long acting)? and when did you take that?

Hi @Upset Racoon I don’t see how any of that means you’re not Type 1. I had a 15mmol yesterday due to a poor estimate of carbs in a meal out. It happens. Overall, your control looks really good.

You ask about insulin resistance. It’s perfectly possible for people to have Type 1 and insulin resistance. One doesn’t preclude the other. However, without more details, it’s hard to see if you have insulin resistance.

Looking back, I notice you seem to think that a 1:10 ratio not working for you is proof of this. Again, it’s not. One of my ratios is 1:8 and I don’t have insulin resistance.

I ended up injecting several corrections last night totaling 10.5 units for no food and some of them stacked because I got stressed and my levels went into double figures and wouldn't come down. I spent all night in double figures despite all that insulin because my liver was churning out glucose to fuel my pounding heart and whirling stressful thoughts. Doesn't mean I am Type 2 or even insulin resistant. Just that I got stressed!

@Upset Racoon I didn’t comment on your baked potato meal. If you weigh your raw potato, you can work out the carbs. You can measure your sweet corn to get a rough idea for that too. You can then see what your ratio is. Having said that, some people find baked potatoes need a little extra insulin and an extra pre-bolus time.

Another thought is whether your basal is right.

If the ‘upset’ in your name relates to your diagnosis, I sympathise. I was upset and angry for months. Please do vent here. Also, if you’re happy to engage and discuss, you might gradually find your way more. You’re not alone and we can offer advice and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back