Does pregablin cause hypoglycemia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k95

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello, I was wondering if it is common for pregablin to cause low blood sugars? I've been diabetic for 25 years, and on the pregablin for about 3 or 4 years. I've recently started using a glucose moniter and have been having a problem for over a year with dropping in the middle of the night. Me and my doctor have adjusted my insulin rates multiple times and even tried setting a schedule for eating and it's still happening. I've done some research and have read mixed answers on if pregabling causes blood sugar problems or not, does anyone have any advice or an answer to this problem?

Welcome @k95 🙂 Google shows studies that suggest it can cause hypoglycaemia in some circumstances, eg if low BMI, elderly, on dialysis, etc. Is it only in the middle of the night? You talk about insulin rates - are you on a pump? How low do you go in the night? Do you check the hypo with a fingerprick to make sure it’s not a compression low?

Last edited:
My money would be on these being "compression lows", where you lie on the arm with the sensor on it in your sleep, causing it to give a false low reading. Always best to double check any low sensor readings during the night with a finger prick unless you feel obviously hypo.

Welcome @KT85 🙂 Google shows studies that suggest it can cause hypoglycaemia in some circumstances, eg if low BMI, elderly, on dialysis, etc. Is it only in the middle of the night? You talk about insulin rates - are you on a pump? How low do you go in the night? Do you check the hypo with a fingerprick to make sure it’s not a compression low?
Hey @Inka I think you've got me and this username mixed up it's @k95 that posted this question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back