Does normal range mean you're cured and how does metformin work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribenababy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a big challenge coming up in November - we are off on a two week Caribbean Cruise - "gulp" very worried about how I am going to cope with swerving those desserts cake trollies and 4 course meals.

Ok another question. If you are managing to keep your blood sugar levels in the normal range (whatever that is) has the diabetes gone away? Infact does it ever go away once you have been diagnosed? Also what is metformin supposed to do? - does it help break down the sugar you eat and if so why cant you just eat normally and take a metformin with each meal? Sorry if they sound dumb questions but they are bugging me. :confused:

I have a big challenge coming up in November - we are off on a two week Caribbean Cruise - "gulp" very worried about how I am going to cope with swerving those desserts cake trollies and 4 course meals.

Ok another question. If you are managing to keep your blood sugar levels in the normal range (whatever that is) has the diabetes gone away? Infact does it ever go away once you have been diagnosed? Also what is metformin supposed to do? - does it help break down the sugar you eat and if so why cant you just eat normally and take a metformin with each meal? Sorry if they sound dumb questions but they are bugging me. :confused:

Not dumb questions at all! Unfortunately, there is as yet no cure for diabetes. You can manage the condition very successfully by making appropriate diet and lifestyle choices, in some cases aided by medications such as metformin. Living with a blood glucose level that is in range all the time simply means that you are eating well and getting sufficient exercise so that your body can cope with the amount of carbohydrate you are consuming. If you were to go out and eat a whole Jamaican Ginger cake (as I was tempted to do this lunchtime!), then it would soon be apparent that your diabetes had not gone away as your levels would rise very high.

I'm not too sure about the action of metformin as I am not taking it. I believe it has something to do with limiting the amount of glucose released by the liver, but also has other properties - I'm sure someone will explain! I don't think it is a medication that can be taken according to what you eat - it has a longer term and more general effect 🙂

I'll move this to the main board as it will be seen by more people there and is moving away from the 'newbies' topic! 🙂

Hi Ribena as northerner has said unfortunetly theres no way of curing diabetes yet so if your diagnosed with it then im afraid it cant be taken away.As for what metformin does it works by decreasing sugar production in the liver. It also works to limit the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream. It further helps to control blood sugar levels by making receptors of insulin more sensitive (more receptive) to help the body respond and maintain its own insulin levels. All of these effects work together to help the body control its level of blood sugar.

Last edited:
Hi Ribena as northerner has said unfortunetly theres no way of curing diabetes yet so if your diagnosed with it then im afraid it cant be taken away.As for what metformin does it works by decreasing sugar production in the liver. It also works to limit the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream. It further helps to control blood sugar levels by making receptors of insulin more sensitive (more receptive) to help the body respond and maintain its own insulin levels. All of these effects work together to help the body control its level of blood sugar.
Reactions

Couldnt of asked for a better explanation..........:D

Hi - I have been on a carribean cruise and have to say the food choice is absolutely enormous. Lots of nice fruit carried to your sunbed if you want it - lovely salads and cold meats. I ate in James Martins restaurant and have just been looking at photo's - the food was actually very healthy (and i didn't know I was diabetic either). There is also a gym, tennis courts, golf nets etc on board, not to mention swimming and aerobic classes - so if you go with the right attitude you could come back feeling refreshed and more healthy. I think it is a case of having a good chat with yourself before you go and deciding how you want to take this holiday - I would still have a little bit of something naughty though but just not everyday.

Incidentally alcohol was very expensive then, I would be embarassed to tell you how much our bill came to (all alcohol). This actually hit home hard how much we drank and since christmas neither of us have touched alcohol and feel great. The good thing is if you can give up the booze, you could buy a large drinks container and get free top ups which worked out very cheap. i am sure they do this with all cruises. I am planning to return - but still working on the husband on that one so he thinks in the end its his idea!!

Hope this helps.

Hi Ribenababy - I was on a cruise in May and I managed ok with the food (not on meds). I cut the carbs for breakfast by having a protein based breakfast but did end up having an occasional croissant! Lunch I was nearly always sensible - soup, healthy salads and meat or fish, no bread. As the day went on it got more difficult as the temptations of cocktails, wines and desserts , seemed to be waiting on every deck! Sometimes I just tasted a dessert, other times I indulged but tried to exercise after or even before. On the whole my BS levels were more or less normal and on the odd day slightly high. But it was a fab holiday and I really enjoyed! It was VERY hard getting back to a normal routine afterwards though. Have a fab time.

Cruising

I have found that at the evening meals the staff are very co-operative. Once I told them I was on a carbohydrate controlled diet and would not be taking potatoes, rice or pasta at any meal, they brought me my own dish of vegetables!

Incidentally, I'm also cruising in November.

Perhaps you would care to send me a private message and we can compare notes?

Wheter or not, believe me, you can follow a low-carb diet on board ship and emerge pleased at yopur BG results at the end of your voyage.

Lots of luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back