Does it get easier????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoventryTrev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Does living with diabetes get easier eventually??
I became 3B diabetic four weeks ago after having the head and tail of my pancreas removed (they also remved my spleen) I'm taking Gliclazide, one tablet twice a day. My numbers are OK during the day but go mad in the evening. I was told to drink plenty of water if they go to high. Friday night they went up to 24 despite drinking what seemed like a swimming pool. I ended up in A&E where they gave me an injection of insulin and they eventually came down.
I'm finding it hard coping with the diabetes, what I should and shouldn't be doing at the same time, recovering from the operation, taking so many tablets everyday and to top it off, I now have covid again!!
Any tips advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Trev,
you need to be on insulin and treated as someone with type1 diabetes. So please request this is done, if the request doesn't work then insist.
In answer to your question yes things do get easier.

Does living with diabetes get easier eventually??
I became 3B diabetic four weeks ago after having the head and tail of my pancreas removed (they also remved my spleen) I'm taking Gliclazide, one tablet twice a day. My numbers are OK during the day but go mad in the evening. I was told to drink plenty of water if they go to high. Friday night they went up to 24 despite drinking what seemed like a swimming pool. I ended up in A&E where they gave me an injection of insulin and they eventually came down.
I'm finding it hard coping with the diabetes, what I should and shouldn't be doing at the same time, recovering from the operation, taking so many tablets everyday and to top it off, I now have covid again!!
Any tips advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi Trev, yes it does get easier. Right now you have so much to deal with: recovering from major surgery is a huge challenge without the D and that medical stress alone can play havoc with blood glucose control.

I'm T3C, after a total pancreatectomy, so wholly insulin dependent. I have no medical training, so could be wrong in saying this: but I would have expected you to be taking insulin routinely and I suggest you reach out to your Endocronologist to get clarification on why you only have Gliclazide. Its good that you have Libre 2. I have no knowledge about the consequence of being spleenless, but that can't help.

Covid is a further complication factor and could well automatically raise your BGs - medical stress again; it's not something that one can quantify - it just helps you explain to yourself why things don't work the way you think they might.

Hi @CoventryTrev
Yes, it does get easier (after some adjustments) once you are on the right treatment. If most of your pancreas is now missing you will need insulin. You do need to be contacting your diabetes team about this. Drinking more water isn't going to help much with levels of 24.

Hope the contact with your diabetes team goes well so that you can concentrate on your recovery from the op and COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back