Does Fasting help lower sugar levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootsy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm currently using Dexcom One to monitor my levels. Frustratingly these continue to be high (hovering at about 8 to 10).
Several weeks ago I had stomach pains, with sickness and diarrhea. I kept off of solid food only having a bowl of soup in the evening and drinking water. After 2 days my levels went down to 6.2 and stayed down for a few days so was my system burning off excess stored sugar/glucose during this time?

Yes, the body will use the glucose in the blood for various things via various pathways so levels will drop if nothing is coming in via diet. (They should eventually reach a fixed point at which usage and production of glucose by the liver balance each other out, but some people with T2 have a liver that is overproducing and this leads to higher fasting levels.)

Fasting should see levels drop (Mine is usually in the mid to high 4s by the afternoon if I don't eat after lunch.) and 6.2 isn't bad considering your other reading/

Fasting is about weight and health. Losing weight will help reduce you blood glucose levels. It can even lead to full remission, even after 20 years, by getting rid of fat in your liver and pancreas. This will also improve your life chances.

I was grossly overweight and had just bought some 40 inch trousers when my diagnosis came through. By losing 20 kg, on 16:8 intermittent fasting and a low carb diet, my liver returned to normal, my T2D went away (HbA1c: down to 32 from 104), and I got back into my old 32 inch trousers again.

There is a good explanation of Time Restriced Eating on the Freshwell Low Carb page. Dr David Unwin has a simple diet sheet you could consider and a YouTube presentation to explain what it achieves.

Yes, the body will use the glucose in the blood for various things via various pathways so levels will drop if nothing is coming in via diet. (They should eventually reach a fixed point at which usage and production of glucose by the liver balance each other out, but some people with T2 have a liver that is overproducing and this leads to higher fasting levels.)

Fasting should see levels drop (Mine is usually in the mid to high 4s by the afternoon if I don't eat after lunch.) and 6.2 isn't bad considering your other reading/
Many thanks @harbottle , will look into this!

Fasting is about weight and health. Losing weight will help reduce you blood glucose levels. It can even lead to full remission, even after 20 years, by getting rid of fat in your liver and pancreas. This will also improve your life chances.

I was grossly overweight and had just bought some 40 inch trousers when my diagnosis came through. By losing 20 kg, on 16:8 intermittent fasting and a low carb diet, my liver returned to normal, my T2D went away (HbA1c: down to 32 from 104), and I got back into my old 32 inch trousers again.

There is a good explanation of Time Restriced Eating on the Freshwell Low Carb page. Dr David Unwin has a simple diet sheet you could consider and a YouTube presentation to explain what it achieves.
Thanks @JITR , I recently heard of Freshwell so will dig out some more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back