Does dreaming make your blood glucose rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby Simon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Bit of a strange one but I check my sugars a number of times a day which currently is allowing me not to be on meds for my type 2 diabetes.
I have noticed this week my BG when I get up is higher than it normally is and in that same period I have tended to dream more in the time prior to waking. I know there is a suggestion that BG rises as you get up as your body gets set for the day but was just wondering if your body can react to pre waking things as well - such as dreams leading to raised sugars.

Bit of a strange one but I check my sugars a number of times a day which currently is allowing me not to be on meds for my type 2 diabetes.
I have noticed this week my BG when I get up is higher than it normally is and in that same period I have tended to dream more in the time prior to waking. I know there is a suggestion that BG rises as you get up as your body gets set for the day but was just wondering if your body can react to pre waking things as well - such as dreams leading to raised sugars.
I don't think anyone has mentioned it before but I can imagine it might especially if it was a nightmare, just as stress can increase blood glucose.

I find that I dream more and have restless sleep when my BG is above 8 through the night. I use insulin, so I try to keep my levels about 5 but don't always get it right. I get my best, deepest, most restful dreamless sleep between 4 and 5mmols. My feeling is that it is the high BG levels causing the dreams rather than the other way around, in the same way as during the day, higher BG levels can make you anxious and irritable.
What did you have to eat those evenings? Could it be something slow release causing your levels to rise through the night and go higher than normal. Things like pasta or pizza or a lot of protein or too many roasted peanuts will do it to me. :( Problem is that I buy big bags of them and it is really hard just to have a few. 🙄

Like @rebrascora i find a connection between high BG and dreams. My assumption has always been the high BG triggers the dreams. I guess it could be the other way around but I can usually find some other reason (mostly diet) for the high BG.

Wouldn't the rise more likely to be the dawn effect rathercthan dreams? Most treams only last a couple of minutes so unlikely to effect blood sugars

Dawn Phenomenon / circadian rhythm can trigger a glucose rise in the early hours as you suggest @Derby Simon, after a common lull in glucose around 2am - 3am ish.

I wonder if anyone has ever studied associations between dreaming and BG levels? Sounds really interesting, and with smart watches being able to track deep sleep and REM sleep, and CGM providing glucose data, there could be a really interesting set of data fairly readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back