Does anyone use Humalog cartridges in a novopen echo plus pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Does anyone use Humalog cartridges in a novopen echo plus pen? DBN said i can use them but finalky get to start back on the humalog tomorrow and cant now cos i cant get it into my pen.

Does anyone use Humalog cartridges in a novopen echo plus pen? DBN said i can use them but finalky get to start back on the humalog tomorrow and cant now cos i cant get it into my pen.
Humalog is an Lilly product isn’t it? Novopens are for Novo Nordisk products, I don’t think they are interchangeable, having had a quick Google.
IMG_1687.png

Thanks Robin, just reading the same. Yes its lilly. I need half units and i have a spare pen from doctors mis-prescribed so they said yep you can have humalog cartidges. Im so cross. I'm becoming more and more sensitive to the lyumjev now. After todays efforts i decided that im starting back on the humalog niw as im now out of an intensly stressful two months supporting my eldest from the unknown illness and susequent loss of our new born grandson.

No, the pens definitely aren’t interchangeable. You need the right pen for the insulin cartridge type. The manufacturers purposely make the cartridges different shapes so you’re tied to their pen.

The Lilly Luxura HD has been withdrawn so you need the Savvio, as shown above. If you can’t manage without the facility to do half units, there are Junior disposable pens that do them. I’d have to look for the name for you. I’ve held onto my old Luxura pen.

Edited to add that the name of the disposable Humalog pen is the Humalog Junior Kwikpen

No, the pens definitely aren’t interchangeable. You need the right pen for the insulin cartridge type. The manufacturers purposely make the cartridges different shapes so you’re tied to their pen.

The Lilly Luxura HD has been withdrawn so you need the Savvio, as shown above. If you can’t manage without the facility to do half units, there are Junior disposable pens that do them. I’d have to look for the name for you. I’ve held onto my old Luxura pen.

Edited to add that the name of the disposable Humalog pen is the Humalog Junior Kwikpen
Yes thanks Inka, the junior kwikpen was what i used before the lyumjev. Just annoyed as my dbn should have known that especially ad i asked the question if lilly did a cartridge to fit my spare pen and i told her what it was. ‍♀️

Got no idea how to tackle my breakfast this morning. Dont fancy 7.5 units of insulin running 20 minutes ahead of my food! Last night was 3.5 units and that was bad enough. Stopped it with half a units worth of glucose after a drop of 3mmol and still had a huge spike upto 16mmol. Breakfast bgs are good and don't have the room for a 3mmol drop without going hypo.

If you need a short term fix you can re-fill an empty Fiasp or Lyumjev 3ml cartridge with Humalog. You can't do it forever because the cartridge seal will eventually wear out but it works a treat. I've been refilling from Humalog KwikPens but you'll need a syringe and needle to do it from cartridge to cartridge.
I've been trying Fiasp with EchoPlus pen. I really like the pen (especially half-unit facility) but not the Fiasp. I'm also returning to Humalog.

I've been trying Fiasp with EchoPlus pen. I really like the pen (especially half-unit facility) but not the Fiasp. I'm also returning to Humalog.
Fiasp is quirky and takes some getting used to. I had 2x 3month trials before I cracked it but it works well for me now. I have to be very proactive with corrections because if levels get above 10 the Fiasp turns to water and I will be there hours and I need to stack multiple corrections to get it down. My upper alarm is set at 9.2 now and I hit it with 2 units when the alarm goes off and then keep an eye on it. It is however very responsive to exercise so you have to be particularly careful when exercising with active Fiasp on board. Another quirk is that it works really quickly when your levels are at the bottom end of the range but more sluggish when levels are 6 or above, so you have to factor that into prebolus timing. At least those are the things that I found and I think @helli has a similar experience with it. I would not swap back to NR now but I had 2 very frustrating 3 month periods trying to transition to it and the first time it was a huge relief to go back to sluggish NR.

@gillrogers maybe you need to address what you don't like about Fiasp and focus on that.
A @rebrascora mentioned it takes some getting used to and you have to be aware of your current BG when you give yourself a bolus as it can have a significant impact on the speed at which it works.
This is easier for me with a pump controlled by my phone because I can give myself a top up when I see my levels starting to climb from my CGM.

The other option is work out what you like about the EchoPen. You can get the Lily Pen (I think it is called something like "Junior") with half units and you used to be able to get an attachment which remembers your last dose.
If it is anything else you prefer, it may just be a need to get used to it.

There is no perfect solution so you need to work out the pros and cons for you of the options available, make a choice and get used to it.

Hi @helli , ive not been on fiasp. It was Lyumjev which is Humalog with an additive that speeds up absorbtion. Its used for very high insulin resistance. My resistance dropped to the point of bolusing after eating. Im now back on ordinary humalig as my resistance has dropped considerably as im no wherr near as stressed as i used to be when i started it. Im bolusing at sensible times now.

Yes thanks Inka, the junior kwikpen was what i used before the lyumjev. Just annoyed as my dbn should have known that especially ad i asked the question if lilly did a cartridge to fit my spare pen and i told her what it was. ‍♀️

Do tell the nurse what a pickle it got you into. It may have been a simple mistake on their part, but you don’t want other people being given the same incorrect information!

Do tell the nurse what a pickle it got you into. It may have been a simple mistake on their part, but you don’t want other people being given the same incorrect information!
Ooh i did ! She apologized. ‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back