Does anyone taking Lansoprazole experience joint and muscle aches please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sololite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi all,

I am type 3 andhave been taking Lansoprazole every day since I had my Pancreas removed a year ago.

I am experiencing aches in my hand joints and sometimes in my biceps for the last few months and wonder if there is a connection.

I'd be interested to know if others are getting the same effect and if they had any advice on alleviating it.

NB . My regular blood tests seem normal, I have been using insulin for 6+ years and take a daily multi vitamin and am in pretty good shape

Thanks for taking an interest.

Chris

Hi all,

I am type 3 andhave been taking Lansoprazole every day since I had my Pancreas removed a year ago.

I am experiencing aches in my hand joints and sometimes in my biceps for the last few months and wonder if there is a connection.

I'd be interested to know if others are getting the same effect and if they had any advice on alleviating it.

NB . My regular blood tests seem normal, I have been using insulin for 6+ years and take a daily multi vitamin and am in pretty good shape

Chris
I’ve been on lanzoprazol 60 mg for years 2x30 mg caps. I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for years and have 5 slipped discs I don’t feel I am a good example to say I can link my chronic pain to lanzoprazol and can’t give you the information you require. I also take, prescribed, high calcium doses 2 x day as I had early osteoporosis from age 49. You would need to rule out other problems for your joint pain before you know if it’s lanzoprazol and weigh up if your lack of pancreas problems are worse or not by stopping the tablets. I spent a very bad week last week with ulcer pain and a day in a&e despite all my medication. I would rather take the ulcer treatment. Amazing you’ve had pancreatic surgery and still fit and active. I must try and be delicate here although it’s not my forte lol it could be just age related creeping up on you. Good luck.

Hi all,

Chris
After a skirmish with a single, large-ish gallstone, my OH was prescribed Lanzoprazole, for a long-standing hiatus hernia, which he had been managing to that date by ensuring his weight did not rise and the odd Gaviscon.

The Lanzoprazole worked well for his digestive bits, but after about a year he started to notice his mobility was becoming poor. As someone who plays golf, or uses the gym 6 days a week, he wasn’t happy about that.

As the Lanzoprazole was the only medication he took, he decided it had to go, so tailed off it over a period. His mobility reverted to his old self, with others commenting.

I’m not suggesting for an instant you did as he did, but if you feel the Lanzoprazole is the culprit, have a chat with your Doc, and discuss plausible alternatives .

I’ve been on lanzoprazol 60 mg for years 2x30 mg caps. I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for years and have 5 slipped discs I don’t feel I am a good example to say I can link my chronic pain to lanzoprazol and can’t give you the information you require. I also take, prescribed, high calcium doses 2 x day as I had early osteoporosis from age 49. You would need to rule out other problems for your joint pain before you know if it’s lanzoprazol and weigh up if your lack of pancreas problems are worse or not by stopping the tablets. I spent a very bad week last week with ulcer pain and a day in a&e despite all my medication. I would rather take the ulcer treatment. Amazing you’ve had pancreatic surgery and still fit and active. I must try and be delicate here although it’s not my forte lol it could be just age related creeping up on you. Good luck.
Thanks for this advice and sorry to hear you've been suffering recently. Don't worry about being delicate I am proud to be an old boy 🙂

After a skirmish with a single, large-ish gallstone, my OH was prescribed Lanzoprazole, for a long-standing hiatus hernia, which he had been managing to that date by ensuring his weight did not rise and the odd Gaviscon.

The Lanzoprazole worked well for his digestive bits, but after about a year he started to notice his mobility was becoming poor. As someone who plays golf, or uses the gym 6 days a week, he wasn’t happy about that.

As the Lanzoprazole was the only medication he took, he decided it had to go, so tailed off it over a period. His mobility reverted to his old self, with others commenting.

I’m not suggesting for an instant you did as he did, but if you feel the Lanzoprazole is the culprit, have a chat with your Doc, and discuss plausible alternatives .
Thank you for this really interesting information. It goes along with my hunch. I didn't get any information when I left hospital other than 'take one of these every day for ever , it's to protect your stomach'. I can walk and cycle for long distances but notice these pains most when playing guitar or doing DIY. Sounds pathetic when I write it down like that

Thanks for this advice and sorry to hear you've been suffering recently. Don't worry about being delicate I am proud to be an old boy 🙂
I must add I think absorption of nutrients is more difficult when taking treatment like lanzoprazol.

That is interesting I’ve been walking bent over for years now. About 25 years and using mobility scooter. As I have said though I have other issues affecting my mobility

Thank you for this really interesting information. It goes along with my hunch. I didn't get any information when I left hospital other than 'take one of these every day for ever , it's to protect your stomach'. I can walk and cycle for long distances but notice these pains most when playing guitar or doing DIY. Sounds pathetic when I write it down like that
But then DIY is a pain lol

Hi @sololite both myself and my good lady have been taking Lansoprosole for over two years now with no obvious side effects, I guess it's a case of different people reacting in different ways to the same pills. Hope you get the problem sorted out soon it doesn't sound like much fun......

Was on 30g daily dose for number of years but more recently been on 15g dose.

Can't say I've ever had issues @sololite but like all meds some tolerate them better than others.

My OH did do some research when deciding his way forward. It pretty much confirmed his feeling wasn’t totally bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back