Does anyone on here inject through their clothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A good while ago during an appointment with a consultant at my yearly diabetes checkup, the consultant said a number of his patients told him they often inject through their shirt/trouser etc. Does anybody on the forum do this? It's not something I've ever tried.

Nope, I imagine for 1 it could cause tiny fibres from the clothing to get under the skin which could cause an infection and also depending on the type of clothing (jeans) it doesn't go through very easily, I know of a guy that used to do this xx

I have injected through light weight tights a couple of times when I was wearing a dress out to dinner but not otherwise. I am naughty and reuse my needles so don't fancy potentially contaminating them on/with my outer clothing.

Yeah I do when I need to, not that often though.

I should probably explain why… I find it very painful to inject in my stomach and use my arms and legs. When I’m not at home I might try to use my stomach, but if it’s too painful I’ll just use and arm or leg, through clothing if need be.

I have known people who do, but I’ve never been in a position where there hasn’t seemed a better option (for me). Like lifting my shirt up or whatever. Just enough tomget a glimpse of a site!

Like Barbara I do it through tights if I’m out and have a long sleeved dress on. I’m not prepared to go to the loos to do it. And I’m definitely not going to lift my frock up at the dinner table! It’s a very rare occasion, going out AND wearing a dress!

No , think of dirt you pick up on clothing throughout day, plus will blunt needle before it enters skin as needles are so fine now.

Yep I do, loads of times, jeans, cargo pants, t-shirts, shirts depends if I feel like it. Can't see the problem really other than it can blunt the needle quicker.

I do it through shirts, pyjamas, pullovers. Never had a single problem with that. The needles I use are My Life Clickfine 8mm which are ultra sharp. They simply push aside the fibres in clothing, which are far thicker than the needle. The rules about not injecting through clothing date from years back, when needles were much wider gauge. The only problem with that was making holes in your clothing. Even then, nobody (from a sample of one, my mum) ever managed to inject any clothing fibres under her skin.

It’s a total myth.

By the way, I use 8mm needles because sometimes I wear a thick pullover, particularly at the football.

The consultant was saying it's the office workers that wear office attire that used to do it. I've never been in a situation where I've needed to. The thing that would put me off is the shortness of the needles 4mm, you wouldn't be able to see how far the needle has gone in and thus not be certain of a full insulin dose.

Well being man no reason to really, plus before switching to pump was using 4mm needles & wouldnt be sure full dose was delivered through clothing.

The very thought of it has just made me cringe for the last 50 years, still does and hence No. We had stockings anyway at first (tights were a fair bit dearer) and with mini skirts there really wasn't a prob cos I always had a suitable gap, especially in summer since I worked in an office, even on days when I wore a dress. Days I wore separates, just exposed an inch or less of midriff bulge above my waist wherever I happened to be, why even bother jabbing through anything? I'm not at all concerned - in fact couldn't care less - about anyone who's delicate enough to find an inch of my skin debilitating.

injecting through shirt or t shirt is my standard and have never experienced any negative impact other than a dot of blood on clothing very occasionally

Every now n then, if the clothes I’m wearing don’t allow access to my skin, eg a dress. I wouldn’t want to make a regular habit out of it tho.

people have told me they use to do that. i wouldn't personally I wouldn't want to risk though even though I do have do in fount of people somthimes so does get a bit awkward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back