Does anyone know what pumps and sensors they use in Kent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1982

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello again. We’ve been told they will be putting our daughter forward for a pump. Do the pumps differ region to region? Type and model and so on? Any ideas for the type supplied in Kent?

Hello again. We’ve been told they will be putting our daughter forward for a pump. Do the pumps differ region to region? Type and model and so on? Any ideas for the type supplied in Kent?
This was on the site a few weeks ago, it may not help as it is aimed at Type 2.
“Kent and Medway CCG, in partnership with Paula Carr Diabetes Trust, are currently offering free access to the myDiabetes app for people living with Type 2 Diabetes in Kent. This would give them access to expert advice, structured education, nutritional guidance, exercise programs and much more.”

The self-referral form is here https://mymhealth.com/resources/kent

If you go on the website for your hospital it might be there. Some hospitals won’t have it online if the list of pumps offered is updated frequently. A lot of hospitals will offer the Libre 2 for a sensor but it is quite tricky to get a Dexcom G6 on prescription. Has your daughter decided she wants a pump ? I remember you mentioning in one of your previous threads that she didn’t want a pump.

Last edited:

They differ from hospital to hospital. Ask your daughter’s team which pumps they offer so you can do a little bit of research. My clinic offers 6 different pumps, but some only offer one or two.

but it is quite tricky to get a Dexcom G6 on prescription
Actually children have a higher success rate of being prescribed the Dexcom than adults xx

Actually children have a higher success rate of being prescribed the Dexcom than adults xx
I never knew that! They do say that you learn something new everyday

@Kaylz lives in Gods own country, Scotland, so it has a completely different NHS, more sensibly run.

What is the best one you can get? I ain’t really too bothered if I have to pay or not. Is there a recognised best one?

What is the best one you can get? I ain’t really too bothered if I have to pay or not. Is there a recognised best one?

No because each individual has slightly different priorities for a pump (if you’re talking about pumps). The best pump is the one that’s best for that individual person.

All the pumps available in the U.K. have to pass certain requirements. Don’t be fooled by the newest or the flashiest or one with extras. The best pump is simply the one that suits your daughter best. That includes the sets and cannulas as rubbishy sets and cannulas will ruin the nicest pump. You need a good pump, good sets and cannulas with a wide choice of types, good customer service, etc.

No because each individual has slightly different priorities for a pump (if you’re talking about pumps). The best pump is the one that’s best for that individual person.

All the pumps available in the U.K. have to pass certain requirements. Don’t be fooled by the newest or the flashiest or one with extras. The best pump is simply the one that suits your daughter best. That includes the sets and cannulas as rubbishy sets and cannulas will ruin the nicest pump. You need a good pump, good sets and cannulas with a wide choice of types, good customer service, etc.
Nice one. We where looking at the Medtronic closed loop one. Is that available for kids? Can’t see anything about that.

Nice one. We where looking at the Medtronic closed loop one. Is that available for kids? Can’t see anything about that.
Have you managed to find out what pumps are avaliable to your daughter? The Medtronic 780g is age 7 and up.

As @Lily123 says, only slightly older children. There have been some supply issues with Medtronic according to recent threads here so you might want to check that with regard to general supplies in case other Medtronic pumps are offered.

There are other looping pumps if that’s something you want to pursue. You’d need a CGM, of course. Have you found out what her hospital offers? That’s the most important thing.

I second Inka’s comments about finding out what is available to you before jumping to any preferences.
Your diabetes team will be able to assist you with what is most suitable for a young child. For example, some pumps are bulkier than other so less ideal for a small body.

As @Lily123 says, only slightly older children. There have been some supply issues with Medtronic according to recent threads here so you might want to check that with regard to general supplies in case other Medtronic pumps are offered.

There are other looping pumps if that’s something you want to pursue. You’d need a CGM, of course. Have you found out what her hospital offers? That’s the most important
Have you managed to find out what pumps are avaliable to your daughter? The Medtronic 780g is age 7 and up.
There seems to be a list of 6 on there? Is it just a case of doing your research and picking one??? Or is it a get what your given type thing?

Your looking into getting one to aren’t you? You seem to be really switched on with all this. Would you have a preference? There seems to be 6 listed. I’m thinking of when she goes to school and stuff. Are they robust??

Usually as an adult you’d pick one but sometimes they have preferred ones for children and will recommend one of those.

Some pumps are robust, some not do much. I chose mine specifically because it was robust.

Your looking into getting one to aren’t you? You seem to be really switched on with all this. Would you have a preference? There seems to be 6 listed. I’m thinking of when she goes to school and stuff. Are they robust??
I’m looking at many different pumps (by the looks of asking the team when I was first disgnosed I wouldn’t qualify but I have a separate thread for that) The pump I’m currently looking at is the Tandem Tslim x2 but I’m not sure of the minimum age. Which pumps are listed as used by your diabetes team?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back