Does anyone else here bolus when rise starts after eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi is there anyone else here bolusing after your meal starts to rise your blood sugars. Im now doing that for all meals and dbns dont see the rush now to sort me out something else. Humalin is now not an option because its doesnt come in half units anymore so theyve suggested Novarapid. ‍♀️

If theres anyone else in a similar situation can you tell me if you cope with that ?

Last edited:
I am the other way, I bolus, wait for my levels to start coming down and then eat at least at breakfast time. The rest of the day, I bolus and then leave as much time as I have decided it needs before eating and that length of time will vary every day according to a whole host of factors.
If I ate first before injecting my levels will spike high and my insulin will become less effective and I will need to inject more to bring me down.

I am the other way, I bolus, wait for my levels to start coming down and then eat at least at breakfast time. The rest of the day, I bolus and then leave as much time as I have decided it needs before eating and that length of time will vary every day according to a whole host of factors.
If I ate first before injecting my levels will spike high and my insulin will become less effective and I will need to inject more to bring me down.
I used to have to bolus before as you know. Just cant do it now. I only rise 3-4 mmol now and turn around or stop rising after half hour. Im getting there slowly but this sensitivity i have now to the humalog is getting rediculous and isnt helping.

I occasionally do this if my BG is in the 4s when I eat because Fiasp works too fast when my BG is low.
However, as I do not stare at my graph, I often miss the rise and then it starts rocketing.
I try to temper this by splitting my bolus - a small dose when I start eating and then more when I spot the rise.

But my experience is irrelevant - our bodies are different. If it works for you, no one else's experience is relevant.

Hi is there anyone else here bolusing after your meal starts to rise your blood sugars.
Definitely not. If I only take the insulin when my bgs start rising then they’re going to be very high by the time the insulin kicks in. If you’re high before the meal, as I understand you usually are, then you want your blood sugars to be falling from the insulin before you start eating, to reduce the spike and get the correction going quicker.

However, as I do not stare at my graph, I often miss the rise and then it starts rocketing.
Just change your alarm to the point you want to be notified at, and change it back afterwards?

Hi is there anyone else here bolusing after your meal starts to rise your blood sugars. Im now doing that for all meals and dbns dont see the rush now to sort me out something else. Humalin is now not an option because its doesnt come in half units anymore so theyve suggested Novarapid. ‍♀️

If theres anyone else in a similar situation can you tell me if you cope with that ?

Humulin can still be an option. You just ‘eat up’ or ‘eat down’ - ie aim for an amount of carbs that whole units will cover. That’s what we did for years and it was fine.

@gillrogers have you by any chance looked at the book by the Glucose Goddess, Jessie Inchauspé, "Glucose Revolution - The lifechanging power of balancing your blood sugar". I am partway through and have found there are some useful explanations about how our bodies work in relation to metabolism. There are a few things I think are oversimplified, but in general several sensible suggestions.

One suggestion (she calls them Hacks) is to have nothing sweet in the morning and preferably when possible until the evening. Her logic is that sweet carbs are generally a source of higher GI carbs that digest more quickly and produce greater spikes, particularly after the night fasts. That seemed sensible enough to me.

Another suggestion was to start a meal with high fibre foods that either don't digest at all or only extremely slowly. These provide an indigestible lining that slows down the digestible carbs and thus moderate a tendency to spikes. Again it seems sensible enough to me.

I would caution that I'm finding my bolus timings need adjusting to create a new match with the slowed down glucose releases. Split boluses seem better for me. As a full-on insulin dependent and with no panc'y my needs are probably quite different to yours; my D is very brittle and spikes have pretty well always been my norm. So I don't absolutely need the Glucose Revolution book but right now anything that smooths my peaks and troughs on my graph can only be helpful.

Humulin can still be an option. You just ‘eat up’ or ‘eat down’ - ie aim for an amount of carbs that whole units will cover. That’s what we did for years and it was fine.
Yes did think of doing that but found that half unit is the difference of a correction putting me back in the green or not.

@gillrogers have you by any chance looked at the book by the Glucose Goddess, Jessie Inchauspé, "Glucose Revolution - The lifechanging power of balancing your blood sugar". I am partway through and have found there are some useful explanations about how our bodies work in relation to metabolism. There are a few things I think are oversimplified, but in general several sensible suggestions.

One suggestion (she calls them Hacks) is to have nothing sweet in the morning and preferably when possible until the evening. Her logic is that sweet carbs are generally a source of higher GI carbs that digest more quickly and produce greater spikes, particularly after the night fasts. That seemed sensible enough to me.

Another suggestion was to start a meal with high fibre foods that either don't digest at all or only extremely slowly. These provide an indigestible lining that slows down the digestible carbs and thus moderate a tendency to spikes. Again it seems sensible enough to me.

I would caution that I'm finding my bolus timings need adjusting to create a new match with the slowed down glucose releases. Split boluses seem better for me. As a full-on insulin dependent and with no panc'y my needs are probably quite different to yours; my D is very brittle and spikes have pretty well always been my norm. So I don't absolutely need the Glucose Revolution book but right now anything that smooths my peaks and troughs on my graph can only be helpful.
Thanks for that , at the moments I’m not having any big spikes. It’s seems I’m now getting the hang of the spike thing but then I’m not entirely sure if it’s what I’m doing or where my sensitivity to the humalog is getting stronger every day. Having said that and I’ve gone on about this before how I’ve noticed my basal seems to drop quite a bit when there’s a huge change in air pressure from the type of weather we are having. And what’s happening now a huge swing to the left on the barometer, the weather is very stormy, I’ve got the weather headaches I’m prone to and always have been even before my diabetes struck and ……….. my basal has dropped over the week by 1.5 units (almost half). So I’m now thinking that some of this sensitivity this week may not be sensivity but the result of a little too much basal insulin. Or a bit off both! We’ll see lol

Would you (or your DSN) consider using Humulin for your "standard" bolus and NovoRapid for corrections where you need the half unit?

Just change your alarm to the point you want to be notified at, and change it back afterwards?
No I don’t stare at it either and usually miss it. I did this afternoon, I’ll zoom until the insulin kicks in then 15 mins to half hour after I’ll turn around if not already. From what’s DSN’s tell me I’m doing fine but then it’s not from what I’m doing but rather the sensitivity to the humalog now and a dropping basal adding to the mix this week thanks to this stormy weather this week.

No I don’t stare at it either and usually miss it. I did this afternoon, I’ll zoom until the insulin kicks in then 15 mins to half hour after I’ll turn around if not already. From what’s DSN’s tell me I’m doing fine but then it’s not from what I’m doing but rather the sensitivity to the humalog now and a dropping basal adding to the mix this week thanks to this stormy weather this week.
When you say you miss it do you mean you don’t hear the alarms? Is your volume turned up? Mine is so loud it makes me jump

When you say you miss it do you mean you don’t hear the alarms? Is your volume turned up? Mine is so loud it makes me jump
Sorry lucy, no what happens is i fall faster than the libre can keep up with. So for example stick test will say 3.5 and sensor will be down arrows on a 7. I know there is a delay with the libre but not by that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back