Dodgy Insulin Cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheClockworkDodo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been meaning to ask - the other week I got out a new insulin cartridge (well within date but last of old packet, all the rest of which had been fine) and it had cloudy bits and a line round the inside of it, and what looks like a crack (though it's not leaking). I don't know what was wrong with it, possibly it had just been bashed in transit, but clearly it wasn't useable so I got one out of the new packet to use instead.

What should I do with the dodgy one, anyone know? - I mean, should I report it to Novo Nordisk or to the pharmacy, or should I just chuck it in with the empty ones going back to the pharmacy and not say anything (given the general incompetence of our pharmacy, the latter two options come to the same thing)?

I've been meaning to ask - the other week I got out a new insulin cartridge (well within date but last of old packet, all the rest of which had been fine) and it had cloudy bits and a line round the inside of it, and what looks like a crack (though it's not leaking). I don't know what was wrong with it, possibly it had just been bashed in transit, but clearly it wasn't useable so I got one out of the new packet to use instead.

What should I do with the dodgy one, anyone know? - I mean, should I report it to Novo Nordisk or to the pharmacy, or should I just chuck it in with the empty ones going back to the pharmacy and not say anything (given the general incompetence of our pharmacy, the latter two options come to the same thing)?
I had a similar vial last week. Mine was too close to back of fridge and had frozen. Had to check others and moved them all further away and turned fridge down. I put all my used vials in the sharps bin, with them being glass. Plus I don't like the idea of any insulin going in the bin.

That's a thought, @Amity Island - thanks. Wasn't too close to back of fridge here as I keep them in fridge door, but knowing our pharmacy, it could easily have been kept in less-than-perfect conditions there.

I normally put mine in sharps bin too, and then that goes back to pharmacy, was just wondering whether I should report this one, and if so, to whom.

That's a thought, @Amity Island - thanks. Wasn't too close to back of fridge here as I keep them in fridge door, but knowing our pharmacy, it could easily have been kept in less-than-perfect conditions there.

I normally put mine in sharps bin too, and then that goes back to pharmacy, was just wondering whether I should report this one, and if so, to whom.
Well the yellow card system is there for this very purpose. But otherwise take it back to your pharmacy, as the suppliers and make sure they know they provided a medication that was/is questionable.

I’d just put it in the bin, unless it was the whole box and clearly a batch issue.

Hello,

I just found this. https://4allfamily.com/blogs/diabetes/can-you-freeze-insulin

From your description on the state of the insulin. & what I know can happen to glass when water contents are frozen..

Thanks everyone, sounds like it was just the pharmacy being incompetent and sticking it at the back of the fridge - good to know it wasn't some sort of contamination.

I thought the yellow card scheme was for reporting adverse side effects rather than meds received in questionable condition, @Proud to be erratic :confused: ?

Certainly the opening narrative for the yellow card scheme refers to side effects. But further down it says:

The Yellow Card Scheme also collects reports of:
  • Incidents involving medical devices, including diagnostic tests, software and apps
  • Defective medicines
  • Fake medicines or medical devices
  • Side effects or safety concerns about e-cigarettes
So I think it is a valid way of highlighting problems about dispensed medicines. There doesn't seem to be any other system.

Love the Spoon Theory, thanks. I hadn't previously encountered that and I'm surprised that my son-in-law hadn't introduced me to the idea (he's always great with analogies about so many things and particularly about how he makes full use of his [and my] time!)

It's in such common usage among people with ME and similar conditions that I typed it without thinking and then realised that most people with diabetes live a relatively normal life and probably wouldn't know what I was talking about!

It's in such common usage among people with ME and similar conditions that I typed it without thinking and then realised that most people with diabetes live a relatively normal life and probably wouldn't know what I was talking about!
I certainly identify with the principle. I suspect I micro-manage my D too much, but along with so many other demands for my time for medical and social reasons, I regularly run out of spoons.

Sorry to hear about your dodgy vial @TheClockworkDodo

Glad you spotted it, and had sufficient spares!

Thanks Mike, and yes, a good reason to always get a new packet of insulin before starting the last cartridge from the old packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back