Doctors warn Muslims with diabetes over Ramadan fasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Muslims with type 2 diabetes in Ireland who intend to fast during the upcoming Ramadan are being warned that advance planning with their doctor is vital to avoid developing acute complications.

Many Muslims with diabetes may choose to fast during Ramadan ? the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, observed worldwide as a month of fasting ? despite guideline recommendations for the management of diabetes during this time.

There are an estimated 49,204 Muslims in Ireland, according to the latest CSO figures, representing a sharp increase over the previous five years. Ireland?s Muslim population includes 8,322 primary school-aged children and 3,582 of secondary school age ? among whom diabetes is also on the increase.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...-with-diabetes-over-ramadan-fasting-1.1441219

Surely it's T1s who'll be most affected by fasting?

Why? There are nearly 1m Type 2s on insulin in the UK, and no doubt a similar proportion in Ireland. Plus those on sulphonylureas would need to be careful.

Yes, but the majority of T2s probably aren't on insulin or sulfs.

I''m not disputing T2s need advice and warnings too - I'm just a bit surprised that the warning is purelyfor T2s, when EVERY T1 will have major issues to deal with if they're fasting.

Yes, but the majority of T2s probably aren't on insulin or sulfs.

Not sure where I read it, but I thought the number that makes up the proportion of T2s on insulin FAR outweighs the entire number of T1s, so in absolute terms there are more people on insulin who are T2. (I think US figures are approx 25% of T2s are injecting insulin with or without oral meds).

Anyway, any Muslims can be excused fasting if they have medical problems.

Perhaps DeusXM means T1Ds are more affected by fasting than T2Ds (particularly those who don't use bimodal insulin), whereas there are more T2Ds than T1Ds, so more are affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back