Doctors urged to do more to promote the 'miracle cure' of regular exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Doctors should give clear messages to patients about the benefits of 30 minutes of exercise five times a week – which can be a “miracle cure”, according to a report.

Medical practitioners are being urged not to avoid awkward conversations about lifestyle, as a report from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges says regular exercise is often more effective than pills.

“Don’t be preachy or reprimand,” the report, written for the academy by Scarlett McNally, an orthopaedic surgeon, advises doctors. “Don’t assume or imply that a patient is lazy.”

Doctors should also practise what they preach. “Be a role model! Try cycling to work once a week and using the stairs when you can,” it says.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/13/doctors-promote-miracle-cure-regular-exercise

In 1949, 34% of miles travelled were by bike. Now that is just 1-2%.
😱 :(

Last time I went to GP surgery, a practice nurse checked my blood pressure and took blood. She remarked on my rucksack, so I explained it was more comfortable than any other sort of bag for carrying shopping etc. Then talked about fun activities such as parkrun and orienteering. I told her parkrun URL and all 4 locations in city, so she could pass on information to other patients or try herself. She didn't think she could run 5km, so I explained that many people start by alternating running and walking. Somehow I doubt she'll pass on details to appropriate patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back