Doctors Receptionists......is it just me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my results back for my latest HBa back . Before they came I was asked by my GP to get them then come in and see her . She wanted to speak to me about my BG , wt , numbness in my hands , B12 , thyroid etc

I get very stressed out dealing with people in authority and she asked me if it was urgent , I said I don't know but I do know my doctor wanted to talk to me about a lot of things .

I started to fret so I said please just tell me the reading .....the last one was 52 , down from 87 .......she said its says here it's satisfactory , no need for further action ?

I wanted to know if it was 50 or 45 etc

She said I can't tell you that , I am not a doctor ?

I said I just want the figure , I can work out if the medication is working !

God I got so distressed , she offered me an appointment in 2 weeks !

Should I phone back and just ask again for the actual level ?

Receptionists can't tell you.
Do you have online access to your records?
That's the easiest way to get them.

Someone on the telephone helpline has stated they should tell you if you ring the doctors receptionist?

The helpline said there is no reason why if I ask for the actual hbac1 figure ......my last one was 52 ......they cannot give it to me

I am not asking for an interpretation, if its lower or higher or the same , I am able to do that

Just the reading , that's all

I now have online Patient access and can see all my results as soon as they come in without having to ring the doctors and be stuck in a queue for ages. I have been told my Hba1c in the past though when i asked the receptionist.

I would not expect my GP receptionist to share my results. Apart from not understanding what the numbers mean, the receptionist area is not private and I would not expect them to share personal information within hearing distance of the waiting room.

Like others, I review my results online.

The helpline said there is no reason why if I ask for the actual hbac1 figure ......my last one was 52 ......they cannot give it to me

I am not asking for an interpretation, if its lower or higher or the same , I am able to do that

Just the reading , that's all

I don't think I've ever had a result from the receptionist.

I'm haven't given specific permission for them to be able to access my records, but having said that, I'm sure it's a general surgery access they all have.
I do know they can see specific notes, like "all clear" or "needs to make an appointment"

I'm also not sure if they have time, my surgery is fairly busy, but I can ring and make an appointment for the nurse to go through them, then pick up a print out later.

It also depends on if the patient is allowed to be told the results. I know general access is available, but some parts still have to be requested and agreed by the doctor.

So, I'm not entirely sure the helpline has given you a specific answer for your circumstances, but it's worth phoning back and hopefully a different receptionist will give you the number.

I can totally understand your frustration. It might be a different matter if your levels were excessively high a the receptionist was concerned about giving you bad news especially when you suffer with anxiety, but if she knows that the result is "satisfactory" then there should be no issue with telling you the actual result, unless she doesn't have access to it and then telling you that would be the simplest response.
As far as patient confidentiality in concerned, other people in the surgery do not know who she is talking to and she is unlikely to give away any context as regards the result. ie. she doesn't have to say HbA1c or whatever.... just the number in response to your question.
Getting online access to your results solves the problem but I appreciate that it is easier at some practices than others. Good luck in resolving this and fingers crossed for a good result.

Receptionists can't tell you.
Do you have online access to your records?
That's the easiest way to get them.
Not true. The receptionst at my practice explained my full blood results told me i was diabetic as she knew these things because her father was diabetic. Unbelievable. Obviously I complained. Might as well have talked to a brick wall.

I would not expect my GP receptionist to share my results. Apart from not understanding what the numbers mean, the receptionist area is not private and I would not expect them to share personal information within hearing distance of the waiting room.

Like others, I review my results online.
Well that's fine but I am happy with being told my results over the phone . Which is what has happened after I went into the surgery and spoke to a alternative receptionist.

I don't think I've ever had a result from the receptionist.

I'm haven't given specific permission for them to be able to access my records, but having said that, I'm sure it's a general surgery access they all have.
I do know they can see specific notes, like "all clear" or "needs to make an appointment"

I'm also not sure if they have time, my surgery is fairly busy, but I can ring and make an appointment for the nurse to go through them, then pick up a print out later.

It also depends on if the patient is allowed to be told the results. I know general access is available, but some parts still have to be requested and agreed by the doctor.

So, I'm not entirely sure the helpline has given you a specific answer for your circumstances, but it's worth phoning back and hopefully a different receptionist will give you the number.

I went down to the surgery and spoke to one of the receptionists on the front desk . She gave me them after I had confirmed my DOB . And also gave me a paper copy .

Well mine has a line specifically for results, available only for a few hours a day.

I can totally understand your frustration. It might be a different matter if your levels were excessively high a the receptionist was concerned about giving you bad news especially when you suffer with anxiety, but if she knows that the result is "satisfactory" then there should be no issue with telling you the actual result, unless she doesn't have access to it and then telling you that would be the simplest response.
As far as patient confidentiality in concerned, other people in the surgery do not know who she is talking to and she is unlikely to give away any context as regards the result. ie. she doesn't have to say HbA1c or whatever.... just the number in response to your question.
Getting online access to your results solves the problem but I appreciate that it is easier at some practices than others. Good luck in resolving this and fingers crossed for a good result.

Went to the surgery reception and was given the results verbally and a paper copy

I am not going to say anything , it's just been a waste of my morning when I could have been told over the phone earlier , these things happen , its not the end of the world but it was my doctor who told me to phone for the results and then come and see her . So I was just doing what I was asked .

You live and learn I suppose

Pleased you got sorted but understandably frustrating!

Come on then!!!.....What was your result? Don't keep us in suspense?

Not true. The receptionst at my practice explained my full blood results told me i was diabetic as she knew these things because her father was diabetic. Unbelievable. Obviously I complained. Might as well have talked to a brick wall.

Ok, they can't tell you, but some still choose to whether you want them to or not.

Pleased you got sorted but understandably frustrating!

Come on then!!!.....What was your result? Don't keep us in suspense?

It was 53 , last one was 52

So not a disaster but the doctor did suggest us adding another medication to the metformin if this test didn't show a reduction ....and it hasn't......so glad I pushed because I wouldn't have known otherwise

Are your doctors happy with your levels at 36 , 38 etc ? They look stable

There is probably no difference between 52 and 53 when you consider that there are error factors in all readings. I think that is cause for celebration and I award you a Gold Star for maintaining the significant improvement you made to get down to low 50s. This time of year, it is harder to reduce levels. Our metabolism wants to slow down with the shorter days and mentally I think it is harder and you want to comfort eat more, so I really think that is good result in the circumstances and I will be surprised if your GP wants to add extra medication at this stage.
How do you feel about more medication. Do you feel like you could use some extra help or are you happy to continue as you are?
I would like to add that as a Type 1 my consultant would be very happy if I can maintain my HbA1c in the low 50s so I don't really see why a reading like that should be any more of a concern for Type 2s. Obviously lower is better, but I don't think there is a significant risk at that level.
I think you should be proud of your achievement in maintaining your reduction, especially when you suffer from anxiety.
WELL DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back