Doctors focusing on diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I'm just thinking back to past doctors visits trying to work out my ongoing issues does anyone else find it hard to get doctors to take the focus of diabetes when something's wrong?

This is interesting Ray, I have only recently been diagnosed but have other things like my itchy rash which was being investigated by a dermatologist (more than just an irritation as keeps me awake at night and pillows and sheets covered in blood when I wake in the morning from scratching so much) but the dermatologist has handed back to the GP when discovering my high sugar levels, surely some conditions aren't just a result of diabetes so be interested on other people experiences

So I'm just thinking back to past doctors visits trying to work out my ongoing issues does anyone else find it hard to get doctors to take the focus of diabetes when something's wrong?
By Doctors, do you mean GPs?

GPs simply are not trained to deal with the complexities of T1 nor is there a remit from NICE for this to happen; indeed T1s are to be referred to Spec teams. So, unless you happen to be in front of a GP who either is T1 or has T1 in his/her direct family (thus made it their business to be on top of T1) it is difficult for a GP to distinguish between diabetes factors and other symptoms - within the scope of general practice. Even knowing a patient is T1 doesn't mean the GP can identify what is, or is not, diabetes related.

Had one particular dr many moons ago who would put everything down to having diabetes.

By Doctors, do you mean GPs?

GPs simply are not trained to deal with the complexities of T1 nor is there a remit from NICE for this to happen; indeed T1s are to be referred to Spec teams. So, unless you happen to be in front of a GP who either is T1 or has T1 in his/her direct family (thus made it their business to be on top of T1) it is difficult for a GP to distinguish between diabetes factors and other symptoms - within the scope of general practice. Even knowing a patient is T1 doesn't mean the GP can identify what is, or is not, diabetes related.
yes i do Mean my GPs blameing my isssues on my daibetiites but i aslo had it to a walk in center I went to so doctors any really.

I get the opposite, they blamed my mental health, just changed surgery and turns out my diabetes is cause of most of it, got clinic tomorrow to plan a way forward and see how bad things are.

This is interesting Ray, I have only recently been diagnosed but have other things like my itchy rash which was being investigated by a dermatologist (more than just an irritation as keeps me awake at night and pillows and sheets covered in blood when I wake in the morning from scratching so much) but the dermatologist has handed back to the GP when discovering my high sugar levels, surely some conditions aren't just a result of diabetes so be interested on other people experiences
Hi, I get what I call my invisible rash when my liver gets stressed due my pancreatic issues, feels like my skin is going to crawl off my body and nothing will stop the itching, hope you can get some better answers and help soon.

I've always remembered a GP saying to me, 'people like you ..... blah blah' so I asked him, 'When referring to 'people like me' what do you actually mean - 50+ year old female brunette insurance brokers, or if not that, what?' He actually meant people who've had T1 a while cos we were talking about thyroid issues at the time - but he did have the grace to apologise - and I knew very well what he was getting at in any case - but that's not to say the next patient would, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back