Do you use a log to record your blood sugar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramedic

I just joined you guys and I'm wondering how you're keeping track of your blood sugar.

Thank you in advance for your answers.🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome

Many people use a phone app like My Sugr as it plots graphs, works out weekly averages and compares last weeks results to this week etc. I used to use a similar blood glucose tracker app by Mel studios which my sister downloaded for me and it was free to use. Now I log what I need to on my Freestyle Libre system, so I don't use that app anymore.
Or you can just use a basic notepad and pen/pencil if you want to be old fashioned about it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but the graphs and averages that the apps produce are quite helpful.

My glucose monitor keeps track of my sugar levels for 90 days and I tell it if my reading is before or after a meal. That is all the recording I do or need. Over 90 days it tells me my averages for before a meal, after a meal and overall and I can look back if I want to on the individual readings. I had a go at recording on a little notebook I had with my back up monitor but I gave up after a month. I am not that organised.

my BG meters came with a little log book and I use that, but I have a log book from Amazon on my Christmas ideas list. I don't usually use the internet first thing in the morning, so pen and log book suits me better - and it was needed when I was on holiday and signal was poor inside. I guess it depends on what you feel the most comfortable using, personal choice. I do use a food diary online, on laptop and phone.

my BG meters came with a little log book and I use that, but I have a log book from Amazon on my Christmas ideas list. I don't usually use the internet first thing in the morning, so pen and log book suits me better - and it was needed when I was on holiday and signal was poor inside. I guess it depends on what you feel the most comfortable using, personal choice. I do use a food diary online, on laptop and phone.
You don't need the internet to use an app once it has been downloaded. I don't have data on my phone but the app was downloaded via my wifi at home and then the app is there to use whenever I want to on my phone without a need to be connected.

My Libre records my glucose levels, insulin and carbs but I also use a paper log as I can enter notes about specific foods and it's easy to look back on. I print my own log on A4 and file the sheets for each month.
Here's a source: (free!)

Last edited:
Quite a few of the manufacturers do downloadable spreadsheets or similar. Accu-chek are one example. I have also done my own which on a monthly basis have you averages for day, times of day and overall average.

Another mysugr user here.

Spreadsheet to start with and now a simple Access database.

We just buy a page-a-day diary and use that. It's getting harder to find one which gives you whole pages at weekends too though so I might have to start exploring other options!

We just buy a page-a-day diary and use that. It's getting harder to find one which gives you whole pages at weekends too though so I might have to start exploring other options!

Considering so many people have 24x7 lives these days condensing the weekend is clear nonsense!

My pump keeps track of how much insulin I use and how many carbs I eat. Meanwhile, Libre keeps track of my blood sugars. So, generally, I don't bother with a log unless something odd is happening such as extra high blood sugars for a prolonged time or extra exercise.

I always have my phone with me so make notes in Keep Note of anything I want to track.
It is less structured than a spreadsheet but it allows me to add whatever information I want.
If I am looking for patterns, I transpose into a spreadsheet for analysis, later.

I know from past experience, when my DSN has requested a log book, I am terrible at writing things down with pen and paper. I lose the paper or forget the pen or I can't be bothered.
I seem to be better at noting things on my phone and if someone (DSN) requests it on paper, I will print or copy it out.

I still have my little bloodstained notebooks from my first year or so after diagnosis, but can’t be bothered with all that now. My pump keeps a record of insulin and carbs and my Libre keeps a record of BGs with all manner of graphs etc that my DSN can look at remotely.

Do you use a log to record your blood sugar?​

Nah technology has come along now there's a thing called a pen and paper as well 😛
Joking apart welcome to the forum and I use my pump, dexcom and meter for results.

I use my own App. I couldn't cope without it.

Yup it is but it is excel 2010. Each edition of excel has its own quirks and may not work with another !!! Incredibly.

I have been creating it for about a year now. It gets better and more useful by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back