Do you have type 1 diabetes and interested in participating in research? 25£ voucher for participation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anwar alobaid

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
Dear all,
Researchers at the University of Leeds are conducting a new research study to better understand how everyday activities impact blood sugar levels in people with type 1 diabetes.

The study involves attending a single visit to our laboratory on campus where we will take some body measurements (such as weight and height) and ask you some questions about your diabetes management and physical activity levels. During this visit we will fit three wearable devices to you that will measure blood sugar and physical activity levels. We will then require you to wear the devices for up to 2 weeks after your initial visit. All devices are small and discrete and should not be a burden to you. The total duration of your involvement in the study would be 2 weeks.

However, if you are unable to attend a in-person laboratory visit, we will offer an initial visit online and send the devices (CGM sensor and physical activity devices) via post.

Reasonable travel expenses will reimburse up to the sum of 20 £.
The project has been reviewed and approved by the NHS Ethics Committee (Ref 23/PR/0500).

If you are interested in taking part in this research project, please do not hesitate to contact me directly using the contact details below.
Anwar Alobaid (PhD student),
School of Food Science & Nutrition,
University of Leeds,
Email: ml17aa@leeds.ac.uk

"This has been approved by @Josh DUK".

Last edited:
I can’t imagine any type 1 diabetic using the freestyle libre pro system, as isn’t that the one used in trials where the patient doesn’t see the data only the HCP does? For patient use it is the freestyle libre 2 that is used, or another system like dexcom.

I realise that using identical sensors for each person involved is preferable from the point of view of controlling for variables, however, have you considered requesting data from people who already wear a libre2 (or similar) sensor and a fitness device of some sort? I.e. the whole process could be remote (I don't live near Leeds and £20 isn't going to get me very close either even if I could spare the time).

I imagine it might significantly increase the number of people who can contribute their data to your PhD research. It would also significantly reduce the cost to you - i.e. there would be no cost at all, especially as, in all likelihood, the vast majority of T1 diabetics here have some sort of CGM device already in use.

The side issue would be validating the accuracy of the different sensor types/accuracy vs time in situ behaviours, but I'd have thought that would make quite an interesting chapter or two for a PhD, and there aren't that many different (BG or fitness) sensor types around to perform this validation for, and I think I'd be keen to trade that effort off vs the increase in data availability.

Just a thought, good luck with your research in any case 🙂

and there aren't that many different (BG or fitness) sensor types around to perform this validation for,
I suspect there's enough that that would take a while. And getting the data would likely be awkward, and probably skew the population being studied. I'd guess there are relatively standardised devices for this kind of study which are probably cheap enough (Biobank UK sent out one ages ago, for example). The Biobank one lasted a week, I think, and had no display (so we couldn't be influenced by what it was recording).

I suspect there's enough that that would take a while. And getting the data would likely be awkward,
I was presuming, perhaps erroneously, that one might obtain quite a lot of data, which would make the effort of validating/normalising and coming up with an export method worthwhile.

and probably skew the population being studied.
That is a good point, which in itself would be an interesting one to understand.

I'd guess there are relatively standardised devices for this kind of study which are probably cheap enough (Biobank UK sent out one ages ago, for example). The Biobank one lasted a week, I think, and had no display (so we couldn't be influenced by what it was recording).
Ah ok, I didn't realise there were dedicated devices, and equally I'd forgotten about the fact they are often used "blind" - though the latter is probably not all that important for a T1 diabetic who will be trying to obtain good glucose control with their own sensor.

Thank you for your opinions.
In the research we actually used FreeStyle Libre Pro iQ (blinded) that used for clinical trial, and we will send the reader with the sensor to scan the sensor 🙂

Dear all,
Researchers at the University of Leeds are conducting a new research study to better understand how everyday activities impact blood sugar levels in people with type 1 diabetes.

The study involves attending a single visit to our laboratory on campus where we will take some body measurements (such as weight and height) and ask you some questions about your diabetes management and physical activity levels. During this visit we will fit three wearable devices to you that will measure blood sugar and physical activity levels. We will then require you to wear the devices for up to 2 weeks after your initial visit. All devices are small and discrete and should not be a burden to you. The total duration of your involvement in the study would be 2 weeks.

However, if you are unable to attend a in-person laboratory visit, we will offer an initial visit online and send the devices (CGM sensor and physical activity devices) via post.

The project has been reviewed and approved by the NHS Ethics Committee (Ref 23/PR/0500).

If you are interested in taking part in this research project, please do not hesitate to contact me directly using the contact details below.
University of Leeds,

Do you have type 1 diabetes and interested to participate in the research - £25 amazon voucher upon completion.

Dear all,

University of Leeds,

People with T1D are needed for new research study - The visit can be in person or online, £25 Amazon voucher upon completion.

People with type 1 diabetes are needed for new research study - the preliminary visit can be online (7 participants left) "£25 Amazon voucher upon completion"

We still need 1 participant to complete the study. Your participation would be appreciated, and you will receive a £25 Amazon voucher upon completion. For more information, please contact m17aa@leeds.ac.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back