Do you have to worry about ketones on low carb diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectian

Pronouns
He/Him
When you do low carb and/or intermittent fasting, you are likely burning fat which obviously has the therapeutic effect to help move towards remission. However ketones will also probably go up, even if not specifically trying to do keto diet. Seems that ketones of 3 is normal with low carb or keto diet, but doctors say that is very high. The doctor told be that DKA can only happen when blood sugar is high (like 13+) for an extended period of time, and insulin is low. If you inject insulin, and you can track that the blood sugar is consistently kept in the normal range, do you have to be concerned about elevated ketones?

There is a difference between dietary ketones produces when people do Keto or very low carb diet but blood glucose is usually low and ketones produced when people have very high blood glucose and insufficient insulin, that is where the risk of DKA occurs.
There are some diabetic oral meds where that can be a risk if people adopt low carb but still have high blood glucose.
The risk of DKA is usually when blood glucose is in the high teens so if regularly there it is a good idea to have urine ketone dip sticks (cheap form the pharmacy) or a a monitor which takes blood ketone strips, much more expensive.

The doctor told be that DKA can only happen when blood sugar is high (like 13+) for an extended period of time, and insulin is low. If you inject insulin, and you can track that the blood sugar is consistently kept in the normal range, do you have to be concerned about elevated ketones?

There’s something called euglycaemic DKA - DKA with normal blood sugar - so it would be wrong to say you can only get DKA with high blood sugar. Euglycaemic DKA is always a possibility, especially for people on certain meds, or who are insulin-dependent and become ill and dehydrated.

If someone is eating so few carbs that they have ketones, it’s something to keep an eye on, especially as you’re being tested for Type 1.

Last edited:
The doctor told be that DKA can only happen when blood sugar is high (like 13+) for an extended period of time, and insulin is low. If you inject insulin, and you can track that the blood sugar is consistently kept in the normal range, do you have to be concerned about elevated ketones?
This isn’t true, I’ve had DKA with normal bgs. Certain medications (flozins), illnesses etc can trigger DKA with normal bgs. You still need to be aware of DKA symptoms and check ketones when have any symptoms even if bgs are normal.

This isn’t true, I’ve had DKA with normal bgs. Certain medications (flozins), illnesses etc can trigger DKA with normal bgs. You still need to be aware of DKA symptoms and check ketones when have any symptoms even if bgs are normal.
I'm confused now, someone above said that dietary ketone are different to the ketone that cause DKA. Otherwise wouldn't everyone with T2 who is on a low carb diet to put it in remission (which would likely raise ketones) be at risk of DKA?

I'm confused now, someone above said that dietary ketone are different to the ketone that cause DKA. Otherwise wouldn't everyone with T2 who is on a low carb diet to put it in remission (which would likely raise ketones) be at risk of DKA?
a keto diet really is very very low carb 20-30g per day which is generally much lower than people following low carb regime would go.

a keto diet really is very very low carb 20-30g per day which is generally much lower than people following low carb regime would go.
I am on about 80-90g a day so don't think that would cause ketosis, maybe a little bit after not eating overnight. Apparently it's quite difficult to stay in ketosis even if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back