Do Type 2's have to worry about ketones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I tested my BS last night before bedtime and it was 13 - highest reading to date but i think i know why, i overate and it was late when i did have my main meal and of course by that time i was starving and just sort of 'binged'. I tested again shortly after and it had dropped down to 10.2 but i thought i read somewhere that if the BS goes to 13 or above you have to test for ketones, i don't have any test sticks for ketones, do I need any do you think? My DN has not mentioned ketones to me at all :confused:

They haven't mentionned it to me either Carina :confused:

I was told not to worry about ketones as a type 2, that it was mainly for type 1s to test for ketones, as we can still be producing some insulin..

"Ketones are an acid remaining when the body burns its own fat.

When the body cannot get enough glucose from the blood to use as energy (in the case of type 2 diabetics it may receive very little glucose, in type 1 cases it will receive none), it will begin to burn fat.

When the body is burning too much fat, it may cause ketones to become present in the bloodstream.

All people with type 1 diabetes should be tested for ketones, and although type 2 diabetics are less likely to suffer the complications caused by ketones, it is essential to know what the symptoms are, and when you should test. Finding ketones present in your urine is a sign that the management of your disease needs adjusting. Ketone testing should also be a matter of course for pregnant diabetics and women who develop gestational diabetes."

I tested my BS last night before bedtime and it was 13 - highest reading to date but i think i know why, i overate and it was late when i did have my main meal and of course by that time i was starving and just sort of 'binged'. I tested again shortly after and it had dropped down to 10.2 but i thought i read somewhere that if the BS goes to 13 or above you have to test for ketones, i don't have any test sticks for ketones, do I need any do you think? My DN has not mentioned ketones to me at all :confused:

Hi there
Perhaps the link below will help you
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

I was told ketones are more associated with type 1s I have checked a couple of times just as an experiment more then anything and both times i have been negative.

I read somewhere that if your BG levels are 15 and above for a sustained period of time you could be in danger of building up ketones, which is one of the reasons for a type 2 with BG levels constantly 15 or more being put on insulin.

One of the reasons I was put on insulin was because my levels had become so high and were no longer responding to the meds I was on and the Doctor was worried about possible kidney damage. I also had to have an AVR test done to check that my kidneys hadn't already been damaged.

I was told type 2's on oral medication (taking pills) don't have to worry about ketones. We have some function in our pancrease, so ketones are less likely to build up.

thanks all for your replies, that has helped a lot. I have taken all your info on board, this diabetes lark can be so complicated sometimes lol! 🙂

I'm Type 2 - I did have probs with ketones - ended up in hospital with DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) BUT my sugars where continually high (average above 15), I wasn't responding to metformin - I had blurred vision and nausea. I was advised that if blood sugars are always high with other symptoms, then it's a good thing to test for ketones or go to GP. I'm now on insulin and metformin as my body is not producing enough insulin and is slightly insulin resistant. It is unlikely that Type 2 have problems with ketones - consultant in hospital actually tested me to check whether I had right diagnosis as Type 2 as he said it was so unusual!

Cath

I'm type one and never test for keytones, though I was tested when first diagnosed last october. I havn't been told to test or given anything to test with, so maybe just a hospital thing.

I'm type one and never test for keytones, though I was tested when first diagnosed last october. I havn't been told to test or given anything to test with, so maybe just a hospital thing.

I'd say have a chat with your dsn about being able to test for ketones, it could be really important. Particularly as a T1 if you have a run of highsugars, illness etc you should be able to test at home, to be able to 'flush out' ketones if you need to, spot Potential dka etc. You should have the option for blood or urine testing strips, the blood ones being much more reliable.

i agree with aymes. Its really important that you have a way to test for ketones - especially as a T1. Because we don't produce any insulin, then ketones can develope really quickly if levels run high or we're ill. Have a chat with your DSN if you can.

I have no idea what dka is, and seeing my DSN is becoming my lifes great challenge. After an unsuitable appointment in december that I had waited ages for I got offered one for the 4th feb but due to work had to miss. The last one is my own fault, well a colleagues that was ill,
My appoint woe's were well documented on my hello forum thread.

Having said that if keytones are important they would have been mentioned surely?

I have no idea what dka is, and seeing my DSN is becoming my lifes great challenge. After an unsuitable appointment in december that I had waited ages for I got offered one for the 4th feb but due to work had to miss. The last one is my own fault, well a colleagues that was ill,
My appoint woe's were well documented on my hello forum thread.

Having said that if keytones are important they would have been mentioned surely?

unfortunarely theyre often not mentioned. DKA is diabetic ketoacidosis, which is probably how you were diagnosed, not very nice at all!! It's when ketones like, take over. They're pretty much a poison and happen when your body starts using its fat instead of glucose. Or something.

As for an appointment, your work place should be accomodating and let you have time off for them.

There are normally two of us that run the factory, and when the boss agreed to the time off all was ok. Unfortunately the day before my colleague went ill so it was too late for arranging cover from a different shift.

So far I have not had an appointment that suited my shifts. Also had a letter from GP that day about arranging an appointment one for tests another a week later to discuss the results. First two calls with my available times didn't suit them (no slot available). So I have to either take a chance and arrange one for work hours or wait.

Why dont DSN's work saturdays or weekends? do the NHS assume all diabetics sit at home and do nothing all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back