Do statins take you over the line with type 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayerbe59

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I read, "It's possible that your blood sugar level, known as blood glucose, may increase when you take a statin. This may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes. The increase generally occurs when blood sugar levels are already higher than normal. People with prediabetes or diabetes may see their blood sugar levels rise when they start taking a statin." I was in remission as I had gone into a strict diet etc, and a couple of months ago, I was prescribed statins as my cholesterol was a little on the high side. I had a new set of tests, and the results showed that my cholesterol was down, but suddenly, I was over the line with blood sugar levels, so was asked to take a tablet. I am seeking a second opinion now (the way the practice nurse broke the news was appalling, over a private call with just a couple of words "You need to go on a tablet"). Anyone with any thoughts? Thanks in advance I am really rather anxious and stressed about it...

Well - depends how your body reacts with that particular statin. Doesn't mean that you'd react the same way with another one - or that your blood sugar level would not have increased in the absence of it.

It depends on what your HbA1C is as to whether dietary measures will be enough to bring your blood glucose level back down again. Some people may find statins have a small effect on blood glucose but it is more likely that your diet has drifted.
What was the tablet, metformin is the usual first thing.

It depends on what your HbA1C is as to whether dietary measures will be enough to bring your blood glucose level back down again. Some people may find statins have a small effect on blood glucose but it is more likely that your diet has drifted.
I am not taking it yet, I am going to see a consultant diabetologist for a second opinion next week

I am not taking it yet, I am going to see a consultant diabetologist for a second opinion next week
By the way, doesn't metformin have bad side effects? At least that's what is listed on the NHS website...

By the way, doesn't metformin have bad side effects? At least that's what is listed on the NHS website...

ALL medications can have serious side effects for a small percentage of those taking them. In most instances there is no way to know until we take them.

Don't take that as me saying you should mindlessly crack on and start your new medication, but just to urge you, in making your assessment to remember if something is 99% safe, it is 1% unsafe, and vice versa.

Are you in the UK? The FDA are the medicines regulator in the US and will have put the warning on for statins available there but not necessarily available in the UK. The MHRA is the medicines regulator in the UK.

All tablets have side effects for someone but, as said above, you don’t know how they will affect you until you start taking them. I’ve just had to come off some meds where my side effects weren’t even listed on the little printed sheet.

Metformin sometimes has unpleasant tummy issues but the extended release version can have good for those that struggle, or you can build the dose up slowly. There are other drugs available but the metformin has least in terms of urinary tract infection issues or thrush for me at least. We all react differently. Statins are meant as a long term protection, I had to change types a couple of times to get a brand with no issues for me.

Taking statins does increase your BS a bit. Metformin has very few side effects, the main one being bowel issues for some people with the standard version. It can give you a metallic taste when eating which for me lasted 6 months. There is one very rare serious side effect to do with hydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back