Do scanners at Harwich and Hook of Holland damage Freestyle Libre 2 sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_N

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Does anyone know (either way) whether passenger luggage scanners at either Harwich or Hook of Holland ferry ports cause damage to Freestyle Libre 2 sensors? I contacted Harwich port a couple of months ago, who acknowledged my query but, despite me chasing them up twice since, haven't provided an answer. However, I need to know as I know some (but not all) types of scanner can cause damage. Thanks.

I have not travelled through these ports but my Libre sensors have been through many many airport scanners without any issues.
Abbott may be slightly conservative about the affect of X-rays on them but I believe this is more down to them not doing any testing rather than knowing they may cause problems.
Regardless, I recommend taking far more test strips than you think you need as sensors may fail for other reasons.

If it's of any help, I can say that my Libre 2 sensor went through a CT scanner unharmed!
Admittedly, it was attached to my upper arm, and I forgot about it...

With regard to X-rays, Abbott says:
The Sensor should be removed prior to exposing it to an X-ray machine. The effect of X-rays on the performance of the System has not been evaluated. The exposure may damage the Sensor and may impact proper function of the device to detect trends and track patterns in glucose values during the wear period.

There used to be a well-known response to questions in the early days of PCs:
"Why don't you try it?"
As @helli says - take adequate backups.

I’ve just been through several airports in 3 countries, Heathrow, Singapore, Malaysia. Each time I explained that my spare sensors couldn’t go through carry on xray and they were fine about it.
Only in Malaysia did they want to see a letter and I gave a generic DSN travel letter (didn’t back up my claim) but he didn’t seem as if he’d be able to tell.
So from my point of view I have my sensors excused from scanning.
However previously on another trip they did go through and worked when I used them.

If it's of any help, I can say that my Libre 2 sensor went through a CT scanner unharmed!
Admittedly, it was attached to my upper arm, and I forgot about it...
Wow! I'm assuming the sensor was outside the area being scanned? Or did it survive actually being scanned?

Thank you everyone for your responses. My query came about because my two spare sensors (both in my hand luggage) got damaged when I flew to the Canary Islands and back last year. I discussed that with Abbott at the time and they advised me that some scanners were liable to cause damage while others weren't (the sensor on my arm, which had been through the body scanners, had thankfully stayed fine). Abbott also advised I should requested to have them exempted from scanning on future trips, hence why I contacted Harwich Port in the hope it could all be arranged in advance if necessary.

In the absence of any engagement from the port, I intend to raise this directly with the security team on site, and hopefully there will be no issue in avoiding having them scanned.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses. My query came about because my two spare sensors (both in my hold luggage) got damaged when I flew to the Canary Islands and back last year. I discussed that with Abbott at the time and they advised me that some scanners were liable to cause damage while others weren't (the sensor on my arm, which had been through the body scanners, had thankfully stayed fine). Abbott also advised I should requested to have them exempted from scanning on future trips, hence why I contacted Harwich Port in the hope it could all be arranged in advance if necessary.

In the absence of any engagement from the port, I intend to raise this directly with the security team on site, and hopefully there will be no issue in avoiding having them scanned.
I would suspect the scanners used for hold luggage are more powerful than those used for the body or hand baggage.
I thought the advise for travelling was to always carry your diabetic needs in hand luggage.

I would suspect the scanners used for hold luggage are more powerful than those used for the body or hand baggage.
I thought the advise for travelling was to always carry your diabetic needs in hand luggage.
Thanks John. Sorry, I got my terminology confused; I've now changed it to hand luggage. That is indeed the correct advice, but unfortunately it still seems to have led to the sensors being damaged.

If you are concerned, you can ask at security. Provided the boxes have not been opened, you should be fine to go through with them separately. I have done this at airports with my insulin pump. Apart from a few security staff members not liking that I give them extra work, there has not been a problem.

Thanks John. Sorry, I got my terminology confused; I've now changed it to hand luggage. That is indeed the correct advice, but unfortunately it still seems to have led to the sensors being damaged.

What a drag for you! I’ve always been pretty relaxed about spares and sets going through the hand luggage xray, and it’s just my pump I’ve asked to be swabbed.

I think your’s is the first experience I’ve read of spare sensors getting damaged like that. Canary Islands must have a particularly beefy xray machine!

I've never been on ferry as a foot passenger - only as a vehicle passenger, hence have never encountered such machines.

I don't know about libre but I know dexxon say don't put the them x-ray mechies I think just simply because they have haven't been tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back