do i need it

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldie31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i am new to t2 and have been told i have to monitor my blood but when i ask my old dr he said i dont need it but all the nurses say i do .do you think i should buy one .i now have a new dr and i see him the morra i think i will ask him see wot he says:confused:

If you are on prescribed medication I would have thought you would have had a script for one and the apprpriate strips/lancets.

Surprised the practice hasn't given you an info pack and that you haven't been scheduled to see the diabetes team at the clinic.

Rattle the GP's cage.
Let us know what happens.

Hi Goldie - have you had any luck yet? Another poster told his GP when he was refused a meter that he would not stand for that because of costing and he would change his GP - he got a meter & strips prescribed very quickly. I cannot believe how short sighted GP's can be sometimes - surely someone wanting to take responsibility and look after themselves is so much better than someone that doesn't and causes the NHS more costs in treatment due to complications in the future?

You should ask the nurse who is encouraging you to test for a meter they usually have loads from the reps, as they give them away for free. Then get your new GP to prescribe some strips.

testing especially when you are new to diabetes will give you information to see how you are doing and what things are causing your blood sugars to rise. you can then make appropriate changes in your diet/lifestyle.

Last edited:
If they're anything like my GP they wont have any luck getting the strips. I had to buy the meter and the strips...The last lot of strips I bought cost me ?20...and that was a bargain! 😡

There is a new policy that I think all hospitals and primary trust GPs have agreed to. It allows type 2 diabetics one pot of test strips a month. Like the previous poster said, they are very expensive - ?25 a pot. I'm not positive if ALL GPs in all areas have agreed to this or if it's just London or even my borough. It's worth asking your nurse if there is such a policy that applies to you.

As I have said on a previous thread on this topic, I must be fortunate. Whatever quantity I ask for has so far been supplied.
I think the policy is very regional and even practice based.

Mine are ? 25 for 2 pots 25 strips in each pot and they come 2 in a box.
I current am able to get 100 strips on my repeat prescription.

well what a change i went to my new dr and she is the best.told her about my old dr how i felt he new nothing about diabetes .so she has got me into see the nurse who will tell me what i need to no and she will get me sorted out with a monitor .she has also got me another appointment to do all my blood work again.to get her files up 2 date its the first time i have left a dr office with a smile on my face .for the first time in 8 weeks i feel good.. ohh yes and i have lost 2 and a half stone :D

well what a change i went to my new dr and she is the best.told her about my old dr how i felt he new nothing about diabetes .so she has got me into see the nurse who will tell me what i need to no and she will get me sorted out with a monitor .she has also got me another appointment to do all my blood work again.to get her files up 2 date its the first time i have left a dr office with a smile on my face .for the first time in 8 weeks i feel good.. ohh yes and i have lost 2 and a half stone :D

Great news Goldie

Pleased that at last you are being taken seriously.
Your loss in bodyweight is phenomenal. Hope this is through healthy eating and diet, NOT starvation.

Well done on the weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back