Do I have Diabetes or Not? No idea, and am unsure of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Ok here's the deal. I live and work in Asia, and recently had to do a medical check for my employment which included a blood test. This was right after the Chinese new year, a time of celebration.

Anyways I got the results back and was really surprised at the results. I knew my BP would be high as I was really nervous and anxious as the hospital was packed with people and it shot up to 151/83. I am not worried about that because I have a home BP monitor and test myself regularly and it is usually within close proximity to 120/80, and lower after weekend runs in the low 100s over 70.

However, my blood came back as the following:

Triglycerides 210
Fasting Glucose 130
LDL 100
HDL 45
Total Cholesterol 185

The TG and FG were highlighted in red along with my BMI of 25.1 for a weight of 75kg, and waist circumference of 92cm for a height of 173 cm. The report said I have a 51.96% chance of getting diabetes in the next 10 years. However, I read that an FG of 130 is technically "Diabetic". I'll mention here, I did have a number of sugary Asian teas and fruit juices in the days before the FG and Meiji chocolate, could this have affected the FG? Also, as I said, I was really nervous and anxious at the hospital. Is there a thing such as white coat hyperglycemia? I don't want to be diabetic, or prediabetic, and have another medical test in late, June or July for my next contract. I have stopped drinking anything but water, and am doing sprints on Saturday, and 48-hour fasts once a week now, and trying to eat clean with limited carbs. I really don't want a diagnosis of diabetes, and want to reverse this as fast as possible. I don't feel there is anything wrong with me at all. Do you think I have Diabetes or not?

Here in the UK FG is not used to diagnose T2 as it is indeed quite volatile.
You might want to get an HbA1c which is an overview of your "average" blood glucose level over the past 2-3 months to see what your body is really up to. That is what is used here.
As for your cholesterol numbers how long had you water fasted before the blood was taken?

Here in the UK FG is not used to diagnose T2 as it is indeed quite volatile.
You might want to get an HbA1c which is an overview of your "average" blood glucose level over the past 2-3 months to see what your body is really up to. That is what is used here.
As for your cholesterol numbers how long had you water fasted before the blood was taken?
I went to bed around 1 or 2 in the morning and had the blood drawn at around 11 am in a stressful hospital environment. I didn't sleep well the night before because of anxiety as I was worried about BP shooting up (not my blood sugars).

No breakfast?

Fasting BG of 130, or 7.2, would be an indication of a problem with glucose intolerance.
Lack of sleep might make it higher.

I'd get a hba1c test to find out more. FBG can be a good indication of a problem, in fact it used to be the way diabetes was diagnosed before hba1c was developed, but a hba1c test will show you what your average level has been.

Personally, for me, the best chance of keeping the medicals looking good is the classic

lower fat, healthy fats,
lose a couple of points on your BMI. (5 kg ish, but check that for your height and age),
don't go mad cutting the carbs, as that actually pushes fasting glucose up,
eat complex carbs, not sugar and fruit juice,
always fast before getting your trigs done.

Personally, for me, the best chance of keeping the medicals looking good is the classic

lower fat, healthy fats,
lose a couple of points on your BMI. (5 kg ish, but check that for your height and age),
don't go mad cutting the carbs, as that actually pushes fasting glucose up,
eat complex carbs, not sugar and fruit juice,
always fast before getting your trigs done.
How often do you get your blood tested now that you have reversed type 2, and are you still considered a diabetic? Do you have to declare anywhere that you are a diabetic, like on government forms or life insurance? That's what worries me about being a diabetic. Being labelled.

don't go mad cutting the carbs, as that actually pushes fasting glucose up
This is complete nonsense of course..
This is what cutting carbs to a minimum did for my fasting blood glucose for a year post diagnosis.
Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 14.11.54.png

Last edited:
How often do you get your blood tested now that you have reversed type 2, and are you still considered a diabetic? Do you have to declare anywhere that you are a diabetic, like on government forms or life insurance? That's what worries me about being a diabetic. Being labelled.

I reversed it by losing weight.
But I am in the NHS system as diabetic, and have regular screening now.
But all the results come in within where they should be.
You're not actually diagnosed yet are you, so have a look at the Newcastle diet as well, and maybe you can head it off.

@Admiral Benbow if I were you I should get an HbA1c blood test done as that will make things much clearer for you - the fasting test doesn't really tell you enough to know whether or not you are diabetic or prediabetic. Stress can most definitely make your blood sugar go sky high, as well as your blood pressure, so effectively there is indeed such a thing as white coat hyperglycaemia.

In the meanwhile I wouldn't go too mad in terms of altering your diet - you may not need to make huge changes, especially if you're not already diabetic, a few small ones may be enough. Fruit juice is particularly bad for diabetics/prediabetics though as it sends blood sugar up very fast (insulin-users use it to treat dangerously low blood sugar) so I'd try to avoid that. Once you get an HbA1c result then you can decide what else you need to cut out of your diet, if anything - there may not be any diabetes to reverse! - but if you do get a diagnosis of diabetes you can come back here and look at some recipes and work out what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back