Do I carry on as normal with my breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My waking this morning at 7:31am 3.8 - 4x dextrose tablets - 16.0 units of tresiba

7:52am 7.8 had 1x rich tea biscuit

My breakfast won't be for another hour - when I have my breakfast do I just carry on as normal and do my injection before I eat?

Simple answer...Yes.

Simple answer...Yes.
Thank you.

If the hypo was immediately before my breakfast - I would've treated the hypo - re tested and when back over 4 mmol I would've injected after eating but reduced carbs by 15g

The DAFNE advice would be not to do a correction at breakfast time if your levels are a bit high, so if your bolus advisor suggests a correction I would ignore it.

The low waking reading may be down to the alcohol you had last night as alcohol can have that effect.

Good morning
You have definitely got your head round things Gill. Well done.

As you were just below 4 when you tested in the morning, you might also think about reducing the number of glucose tabs used. I found that a lower reading first thing will rise just by my getting up (the dawn phenomenon) so for a near four hypo I might do a smaller Hypo treatment and get up.

Alcohol definitely has an impact on everyone’s body. The liver prioritises processing the alcohol to get that out of our system, so it won’t be dribbling out glucose like it does normally. That is why they suggest a small snack at bedtime if you have had a drink.

The DAFNE advice would be not to do a correction at breakfast time if your levels are a bit high, so if your bolus advisor suggests a correction I would ignore it.

The low waking reading may be down to the alcohol you had last night as alcohol can have that effect.
Thank you.

I also had chinese takeaway and birthday cake for tea 152g of carbs!

That is why they suggest a small snack at bedtime if you have had a drink.
Bedtime bg was 4.2 and I had 2x rich tea biscuits

Hope your levels settle through the morning Gill

You have definitely got your head round things. Well done.
Thank you so much x

As you've probably seen from some of my other threads I do try so hard with my diabetes. I've been diabetic since 1992 and my bgs are always and have indeed always been up and down.

I think almost everyone’s BG goes up and down, it’s virtually impossible for it not to! My daughter’s bounces around far more than yours some days, without her even eating sometimes, so then I start to think that something must be wrong here and start trying to work out what I should do about it... and then it just stabilises on its own before I’ve even done anything a lot of the time! You’re doing really well Gill 🙂

I think almost everyone’s BG goes up and down, it’s virtually impossible for it not to! My daughter’s bounces around far more than yours some days, without her even eating sometimes, so then I start to think that something must be wrong here and start trying to work out what I should do about it... and then it just stabilises on its own before I’ve even done anything a lot of the time! You’re doing really well Gill 🙂
Thank you @Sally71 - as you know my target is 5 - 8mmol but when they go below this or above this I stress because 'all these diabetic nurses' start asking why but I never ever know why and also feel as though I'm being told off!

Hope your levels settle through the morning Gill
Thank you @everydayupsanddowns - here's my breakfast bg
9:41am 11.3
the bolus advisor advised 4.5 units of humalog food and 1.5 units humalog correction but I didn't do the correction - hope I've done the right thing

Thank you @Sally71 - as you know my target is 5 - 8mmol but when they go below this or above this I stress because 'all these diabetic nurses' start asking why but I never ever know why and also feel as though I'm being told off!
Next time, tell them that it is because there are something like 42 factors which affect BG levels and you only have control over about half a dozen of those things and you are doing your best! Some DSNs have no idea how difficult it is to balance BG and insulin.

Thank you @everydayupsanddowns - here's my breakfast bg
9:41am 11.3
the bolus advisor advised 4.5 units of humalog food and 1.5 units humalog correction but I didn't do the correction - hope I've done the right thing
That was the correct thing to do and if you are still high at lunchtime, then consider a correction at that time.

If it was me this morning with that slightly low waking level, I would have done what @SB2015 suggested and have a smaller hypo treatment of say just 1 or 2 glucose tablets or JBs and got up so that Foot On The Floor added to bringing my levels up, but I seem to remember you like to have a lie in until breakfast later so perhaps not a suitable strategy for you.

That was the correct thing to do and if you are still high at lunchtime, then consider a correction at that time.
Thanks. With any hypo in between meals is it always the first meal after when you would ignore a suggested correction if bg was high? Then carry on as normal with the next meal?

If it was me this morning with that slightly low waking level, I would have done what @SB2015 suggested and have a smaller hypo treatment of say just 1 or 2 glucose tablets or JBs and got up so that Foot On The Floor added to bringing my levels up, but I seem to remember you like to have a lie in until breakfast later so perhaps not a suitable strategy for you.
Yes you're right there I do tend to have a lie in until breakfast. If I'd got up plus maybe only 2 dextrose would my level maybe have not been as high as the 11?

Thanks. With any hypo in between meals is it always the first meal after when you would ignore a suggested correction if bg was high? Then carry on as normal with the next meal?
Yes, that is my understanding as whatever caused your initial hypo may drop you again, especially when it's a waking hypo like that were it clearly isn't a bolus miscalculation that is responsible for it.
If I'd got up plus maybe only 2 dextrose would my level maybe have not been as high as the 11?
No one can say for sure but I don't think myself or @SB2015 would have had the follow up biscuit either so probably about 20-25g carbs less than you had which would likely have meant that breakfast reading was lower but if you had done that and stayed in bed and perhaps dropped back off to sleep again, you might have gone hypo again, so I think you did the right thing in your situation.

Next time, tell them that it is because there are something like 42 factors which affect BG levels and you only have control over about half a dozen of those things and you are doing your best! Some DSNs have no idea how difficult it is to balance BG and insulin.
Thank you I love this 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back