DKA testing Meter

Totalwar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I like to buy a testing meter for DKA can someone recommend one as I can’t get on with the urine testing strips and give me link where to get it please.I have to test for DKA because I had DKA in the past even though i have type 2 diabetes.

Last edited:
The blood strips for keytones are quite expensive, I have a Libre reader that doubles as a meter, and the strips for Keytones cost currently on Amazon over £20 for just 10 strips.

A popular blood ketone meter with the Keto crowd is the Keto Mojo meter and strips, though the strips are indeed expensive at £48 for 60 strips (excluding the price of the meter) - Link

I have a GlucoMen areo GK meter (Italian I think?) which takes both blood glucose and ketone strips. I was given the meter by my diabetologist and the ketone strips are free courtesy of the state here so I don't know how much they cost - wild guess €1 per strip or thereabouts. I find I use the strips very rarely though - only if I feel weird or sick would I use a strip.

Incidentally - SGLT2 inhibitors such as Dapagliflozin (Forxiga) plus excessive alcohol intake plus sleeping in to ward off the hangover (thus not eating the next morning) has resulted in an hours-long hypo in my sleep for me (caught on a CGM) with elevated ketones (and feeling weird) upon waking. I've read that these medications in combination with fasting or being on a very low-carb diet can cause the same effect. Being on this class of medications appears to be why the GP prescribed me the ketone strips which enables me to get them for free. I believe my CGM graph illustrates how Euglycemic DKA happens on this medication class - something pushes your BG very low (in my case a very unwise amount of alcohol) and the medication plays a role in keeping BG levels too low, leading to 'glucose starvation' and ketosis. Something to be very wary of perhaps if fasting, eating a very low carb diet, or drinking while on this type of medication.

Thanks for the feed back.I don’t drink or smoke.Just fat lol but diabetes does run in the family.I love food it really sucks that I cant eat what I really want.

Wow they out of my price range and that only for the strips.

The other thing to remember with keto test strips is they did not have a long shelf life.
I have them on prescription but use them very rarely so usually end up throwing them out.

Thanks for the feed back.I don’t drink or smoke.Just fat lol but diabetes does run in the family.I love food it really sucks that I cant eat what I really want.

Wow they out of my price range and that only for the strips.
In what respect did you not get on with the urine test strips as they are pretty cheap and would potentially give you an early warning sign in conjunction with testing your blood glucose.
No reason why you can't have tasty meals and still manage your blood glucose well

I wear glasses so can’t see the very small print below the colours.

I wear glasses so can’t see the very small print below the colours.
If you take a photo of the strip with your phone you can then zoom in to read it.

Personally in 5 years I have never needed to test for ketones, but as a Type 1 I do now get blood ketones test strips prescribed, but the first 4.5 years I just had urine strips and tested a couple of times out of curiosity when they were going out of date but never needed to test "in anger" so to speak. I have a Caresens Duo BG meter which also reads ketones but the strips are much ore expensive than urine strips.

Back