Dizzy Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primmy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I was diagnosed last year with type 2 diabetes! I was told to lose weight and get under 49 which I was, I lost half a stone and went down to 48.
I was put on metformin 1 tablet a day for three months to see if I could tolerate this med with other heart meds I take so far three weeks in I seem to be okey on them.
My question is everyday I have dizzy spells, if I have something with sugar in I seem to improve, is this one of the side effects of diabetes? I also have sores on my feet and ongoing sore lips which I have had lots of treatments for with no success.
The nurse I have seen twice isn’t much help except for calling me obese for being two stone overweight,

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

I was diagnosed last year with type 2 diabetes! I was told to lose weight and get under 49 which I was, I lost half a stone and went down to 48.
I was put on metformin 1 tablet a day for three months to see if I could tolerate this med with other heart meds I take so far three weeks in I seem to be okey on them.
My question is everyday I have dizzy spells, if I have something with sugar in I seem to improve, is this one of the side effects of diabetes? I also have sores on my feet and ongoing sore lips which I have had lots of treatments for with no success.
The nurse I have seen twice isn’t much help except for calling me obese for being two stone overweight,

Many thanks.
Do you take blood pressure medication as sometimes when people lose weight their blood pressure becomes lower and they don't require the same dose.
Dizziness can be an indication of low blood glucose but also of high blood glucose level so having a home testing monitor can be useful to test your blood glucose so you can see if it actually is low.
The addition of the metformin may have been doing it's job in lowering blood glucose but because your body was used to higher levels it thinks it is low causing the symptoms, called a false hypo as it is not actually too low.
I would have a word with your GP if it continues but it may settle once your body adjusts to the lower levels.
You could try having a protein snack rather than carbs as that may not help in the long run.
Inexpensive monitors can be bought on line The GlucoNavii or TEE have some of the cheaper strips.

Are you on any medication to reduce your blood pressure?
I was on Ramipril until getting up rapidly from a chair in a restaurant caused me to collapse to the ground - but I could get up immediately afterwards, fortunately without scathe.

Do you take blood pressure medication as sometimes when people lose weight their blood pressure becomes lower and they don't require the same dose.
Dizziness can be an indication of low blood glucose but also of high blood glucose level so having a home testing monitor can be useful to test your blood glucose so you can see if it actually is low.
The addition of the metformin may have been doing it's job in lowering blood glucose but because your body was used to higher levels it thinks it is low causing the symptoms, called a false hypo as it is not actually too low.
I would have a word with your GP if it continues but it may settle once your body adjusts to the lower levels.
You could try having a protein snack rather than carbs as that may not help in the long run.
Inexpensive monitors can be bought on line The GlucoNavii or TEE have some of the cheaper strips.
Many thanks for replying, no I don’t take blood pressure medication I have always been in the normal range, I check my blood pressure regularly. I will look into the gluco monitor.
Thanks for your help as I am new to this it’s quite difficult knowing what to do.

Are you on any medication to reduce your blood pressure?
I was on Ramipril until getting up rapidly from a chair in a restaurant caused me to collapse to the ground - but I could get up immediately afterwards, fortunately without scathe.
No I don’t take blood pressure meds. Thanks for replying

Have you calculated your BMI to see if you are obese? I presume you must be or she wouldn’t be saying you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back