DIY wholewheat bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTurin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have to ask if someone has already made bread at home using a Kitchenaid and an electric (or LPG) oven. I have found some recipes but they are always quite different.

I'd like to use only whole wheat, salt, yeast water and some sugar to awake the yeast, because I'm not sure if other things are added on bought bread (and I have a Kitchenaid I normally don't use).

I know one has to be patient and it'important to don't mix yeast and salt, and I like to hear about experiences about it.

I can only advise that you do not make bread using all wheat flour unless you are injecting insulin so you can calculate how much to use for such a high carb food.
After getting my numbers down to normal I set to work to reduce the percentage of carbs in the bread I make, so I take my usual recipe, substitute a cup of rye flour for one of the white flour but I then add double the amount of lard and yeast and sugar, and a 200 gm of milled mixed seeds (from Lidl) a 150gm bag of ground almonds, a cup of coconut flour, a cup of psyllium husk powder, and a heaped teaspoon of baking powder to help with the rise. I add warm water to make a soft dough and spray the surface.
Divided into three loaves and left in a warm place it rises well - with spraying to keep the surface soft. I bake it at slightly lower temperature than white bread so as not to burn the seed mix.
Next time I make it I plan to use muffin tins to make it bread roll sized for easier rationing. It freezes well.

When I made bread at home added flour improver L-ascorbic acid, you will see this on nearly every pack of factory made bread.
L-ascorbic acid is vitamin C, something I dont think you would object to adding to your bread. It helps the yeast work more effectively and improves the texture.
but like Drummer said you will have to find alternative flours.

I found my recipe book.
The last recipe was
200gm of milled chia seed (as I could not get the super seed mix)
150 gm of Whitworths ground almonds
1tsp salt
a little lard rubbed in
1cup psyllium flour
1 cup rye flour
2 cups wholemeal chapatti flour
2 cups white bread flour
mix thoroughly
1tsp sugar
2 sachets of yeast
2 tsp of baking powder
mix and add warm water to make a dough, knead well and divide into tins.
Spray with warm water and leave in a warm place to rise.
I suspect that I left out the coconut flour I had used previously - but it worked well enough. When it had doubled in size I sprayed it again and baked it at 180 degrees C until it sounded hollow when tapped on the bottom.
It tasted very good, and toasted well.

First of all I have found that the nomeclature of flour is quite different between UK an Italy.
I have used the wrong term, I think
white whole wheat / wholemeal is sold here as "Farina integrale di grano tenero".
What I was thinking to use was
https://www.molinopeila.it/shop/gb/wheat-flour/42-semola-di-grano-duro.html "Durum wheat semplina"
I think maybe it's better to try to do something easier like pizzoccheri - mixing it with buckwheat flour...
https://www.molinopeila.it/shop/gb/gluten-free-flours/63-farina-di-grano-tenero-tipo-00.html

And see what happens.

Anything wheat is full on high carb - over 60 percent carbs. Not a good idea really.
Add anything you can find to reduce the impact of the starches.
I got the Psyllium husk flour, the coconut flour and other things to try from Amazon, and trawled the supermarket for anything that looked useful.

I know that bread it's loaded of carbs, so notmally I eat rarely bread. Sometimes I like to eat 100 of it. especially with bbq.
But even if you buy rye or whole bread in a bakery you could have surprises.
There is a subtle difference between "whole-wheat bread" and "bread with whole-wheat flour" that is sometime sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back