Ditched Metformin

Anto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
2 weeks ago 500mg per day, and my pre breakfast readings have not risen above 7.1. So far so good

diabetes-prediabetes-normal-scale.jpg
@Anto, you are about here on the scale. Are you aiming to get well into the green?

If you haven't seen it, the image comes from Dr Nicola Guess's blog 'What is Prediabetes'. It explains why getting back to from 48 to normal in the 30s is a really good target. I can vouch for that (ditched Metformin before opening the packet).

Quote: "...you don’t have to have diabetes to develop some of the complications of diabetes."

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes I'm aiming to get back to 48. Though I think 54 may be a reasonable number for an 81 year old?

Suppose so. When I was 80 with a diagnosis close to 3 o'clock on the scale I read Professor Roy Taylor's "Life without Diabetes T2" and decided to take up his challenge to get back into the 32" trousers I wore 40-50 years ago. I am glad I did.

2 weeks ago 500mg per day, and my pre breakfast readings have not risen above 7.1. So far so good
500mg by itself doesn’t do much, the only reason for starting on such a low dose it to get used to the side effects before building up the dose

500mg took away my appetite and I have lost 10 pounds in weight over 18 months. Went from 10 stone 7 pounds to 9 stone 11 pounds. At 5 feet eight weight I can ill afford to lose.

Well, in that case, have you considered all possible changes to your diet and eating patterns? Such as reducing GL (glycaemic load) to lower glucose, and intermittent fasting (e.g, 16:8, 5:2) to promote 'burning' of any excess liver fat.

On the other hand if you have ever had pancreatitis, or another condition affecting your pancreas, 48-53 may be the best you can achieve. This is something to discuss with your GP/DN.

Recent scans (fibro and CT) show very little liver fat and no pancreas problems. Everything else is in good order.

PS. In the 2 weeks since stopping metformin my appetite has returned and I have put on 2 pounds in weight.

My understanding from recent research is Metformin reduces the amount of food digested, so now as per your last post you may have a bit more leeway. Did your scans measure the level of insulin secretion by the beta cells in your pancreas? Anyway diet, and any exercise you can take, are the main things you can control.

Not sure about insulin secretion.
I do exercise regularly, hiit and lift dumbells 3 times per week.
But as Brian said to the crowd in the life of Brian 'we're all different

At your age anything around the 50 mark sounds fine. The newer NICE guidelines suggest that a higher HbA1C is more suitable or more mature people and a personalised plan should be offered. This came from some research that found people were being over medicated to keep the at lower levels.
Just a good healthy diet with plenty of protein and healthy fats should help you regain some weight if you want to.

Not sure about insulin secretion.
I do exercise regularly, hiit and lift dumbells 3 times per week.
But as Brian said to the crowd in the life of Brian 'we're all different'
The point I'm making is that I don't see the point in suffering the nasty side effects of metformin for a few points less on the scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point I'm making is that I don't see the point in suffering the nasty side effects of metformin for the sake
Neither did I, so I relied on diet to get my blood glucose back to normal. Luckily it did.

At your age anything around the 50 mark sounds fine. The newer NICE guidelines suggest that a higher HbA1C is more suitable for more mature people and a personalised plan should be offered.
Thank you for drawing attention to the recent NICE guidelines.

Out of interest I looked at the Patient Decision AID, 'Type 2 diabetes: agreeing my blood glucose (HbA1c) target':
- On the right hand it says: 'Thinking about my age and my health overall, my quality of life in the shorter term is more important to me' and 'A higher HbA1c target may be better'. This seems to apply to Anto.
- On the left hand it says: 'Thinking about my age and my health overall, my quality of life in the long term is important to me' and 'A lower HbA1c target may be better'. This applied to me.

Everyone is different. Everyone as happy as they can be.

Last edited:
Thank you for drawing attention to the recent NICE guidelines.

Out of interest I looked at the Patient Decision AID, 'Type 2 diabetes: agreeing my blood glucose (HbA1c) target':
- On the right hand it says: 'Thinking about my age and my health overall, my quality of life in the shorter term is more important to me' and 'A higher HbA1c target may be better'. This seems to apply to Anto.
- On the left hand it says: 'Thinking about my age and my health overall, my quality of life in the long term is important to me' and 'A lower HbA1c target may be better'. This applied to me.

Everyone is different. Everyone as happy as they can be.
That is also the point about a personalised plan as it will/should take into account other risk factors.

That is also the point about a personalised plan as it will/should take into account other risk factors.
Exactly. Anto and his doctors appear to working towards a 'personalised plan'. My GP did not understand or agree with my 'personal plan', but that and Nice guidelines are a topic for another thread.

Back