Dissolving Metformin tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS3737

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Apparently there is a shortage of Metformin sachets and, because of my inability to swallow the tablets and the cost of the liquid alternative, my GP has prescribed tablets anyway, and told me to dissolve them in water. I can get no instructions on how to do so, and I cannot seem to get them to dissolve completely even after 30 minutes. Does anyone else have any experience, and does anyone know how long the shortage is likely to last?

Apparently there is a shortage of Metformin sachets and, because of my inability to swallow the tablets and the cost of the liquid alternative, my GP has prescribed tablets anyway, and told me to dissolve them in water. I can get no instructions on how to do so, and I cannot seem to get them to dissolve completely even after 30 minutes. Does anyone else have any experience, and does anyone know how long the shortage is likely to last?
You could try crushing them (as long as they are not slow release version) and mix in with a spoonful of yoghurt. They may not taste very nice however.

Yes. What Leading said. Crush them. I would suggest putting them in a plastic or paper bag and smash them with a hammer. Just one method assuming you don't have more appropriate tools.

To Leadinglights and RichardsUsername - Thanks for the suggestion, but the leaflet with the tablets specifically excludes crushing the tablets.

I'd go to the Pharmacist and ask their advice .... not everything will dissolve in water.

To Leadinglights and RichardsUsername - Thanks for the suggestion, but the leaflet with the tablets specifically excludes crushing the tablets.
It would if they are slow release as the slow release action depends on the nature of the coating on the tablet.
You mention the sachets, are they a powder or liquid. That may not be slow release anyway. But check with the pharmacy.

Can metformin oral tablets be chewed, crushed, or split? You may crush or split immediate-release metformin tablets. But you should never break, crush, or chew extended-release metformin tablets. This is because breaking, crushing, or chewing the tablets changes the way they work in your body.

What's the reason you can't swallow them would be my first question.

I have always had trouble swallowing large pills, and it has got worse as I have got older. Capsules are OK, but not tablets.

I have always had trouble swallowing large pills, and it has got worse as I have got older. Capsules are OK, but not tablets.
Mine are very large. But there is a knack to swallowing tablets. Put some water in your mouth. Then put the tablet in, bend your head right back so the tablet drops to the back of your mouth and swallow.

What I don't understand is - am I the only person effected?
You could try a different pharmacy.
I completely get not being able to swallow big pills, I sometimes have to break a paracetamol in half if they are particularly big.
There does seem to be a shortage of some medications however.

I understand that Liquid Metformin is more expensive than tablets, but I don't think there have been many forum members over the years taking it.

Thank you all for your help. I would have thought that if the tablets were soluble and were meant to be so, that there would already be some sort of official guidance on the subject. The lack of any mention in any of the websites concerned does bother me, as I am concerned that the tablets, once as dissoled as they ever get, may niot be having the desired effect. The response I got from Diabetes UK, was that they were 'not aware' of the tablets being soluble. Is this shorthand for 'don't do it'?

What I don't understand is - am I the only person effected?

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting hold of liquid metformin @JS3737

I am not aware of any general shortages of Metformin, perhaps it is limited to one pharmacy/chain or a specific distributor?

According to some UK formulary sites (eg Bedfordshire), there seems to be a powdered form of Metformin available (which can be reconstituted with water) and is more cost effective than the liquid form. Not something I’d heard of before!

To everydayupsanddowns - It is the powdered form in sachets which is unobtainable. The liquid form is more expensive and the GP will not prescribe it. It could very well be that this shortage only effects one distributor, but AAH is one of the biggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back