Disposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test strips going in normal waste. Dispose of them in the same way as you would a bandaid/plaster.
Regarding lancets, it depends. As I use insulin and have needles, I get a sharps bin on my prescription. Sharps bin disposal varies around the country.
If you have no sharps bin, you can purchase your own (they are available on Amazon, for example). Or, you could put the caps on and place them in a disposable bottle/jar, seal the lid and put out with your rubbish.
The FastClix lancets are retracted into their cassette so are no risk.
Some people use needle clippers. I found lancets thicker than the clipper were designed for and still left a sharp stump so stopped using them.

Where do people dispose of their used lancets and Test Strips?...
Test strips can go in normal rubbish. Used lancets should go in a sharps box which should be disposed in some way, and how that gets done depends on your local authority.

I pop the used lancet in to the previous test strip pot. That's where the used strips go as well. The pot then goes in the bin with usual household rubbish.

How often are you changing your lancet?

I pop the used lancet in to the previous test strip pot. That's where the used strips go as well. The pot then goes in the bin with usual household rubbish.

How often are you changing your lancet?
I presume they are a one off use?...

I presume they are a one off use?...
The advice from nurses is usually to use them once.
However, it is common to change them less often - some people joke they change theirs on St Swithin's day, Others change them every 29th February

Mine are slightly different as they’re FastClix so there’s 6 in a drum but it’s still meant to be one per use so one drum should last maximum 6 days.

I reckon I get a couple of months maybe out of each drum.

Mine are slightly different as they’re FastClix so there’s 6 in a drum but it’s still meant to be one per use so one drum should last maximum 6 days.

I reckon I get a couple of months maybe out of each drum.

Use same Colin, must admit don't change mine that often, but when do it goes in sharps bin test strips in bin.

As long as it is only you using the lancet then you can use many times. You can just put the used ones in any container and put in the rubbish.

Your local authority / council should have details on their website about the arrangements for domestic ‘sharps’ clinical waste in your area. Used test strips are fine in general waste as far as I’ve ever been told.

If in doubt, you could ask your Dr or nurse and see if they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back