Disposal of used dexcom scanner handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

london5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know how to dispose of these correctly? Technically they do have a needle/introducer and technically they are blood contaminated. My council says they're clinical waste but I'd need a 7L sharps bin to have a hole big enough to push the used device through and that's a very big bin to have at home.

Their website says they should be disposed of "following local guidelines biohazard waste.". So I suppose you should use a sharps bin though I bet most people don't.

I am confused. Why is the scanner (reader) blood contaminated? It doesn't touch any blood.
Do you mean the sensor applicator rather than the reader?

In which case, is it possible to safely take the applicator apart and dispose of the spike?
I do not know the Dexcom system but I know this is possible with the Libre.
The sharps box is for sharps rather than clinical waste (and we don't put plasters/band aids in there because they are "blood contaminated").

Last edited:
Easiest thing to do is cut off the sensor spike with a snips and drop that bit in the sharps bin. The rest can just go in the rubbish.

I too am confused about what you are referring to. If it is the applicator with the needle in it, then I disassemble my Libre ones and just put the needle in the sharps bin although I was prescribed a 7 litre SharpSafe for the purpose of disposing of my Libre applicator, I didn't want to have a large bin so never collected it and I prefer to dismantle it and remove the needle.
If it is the sensor itself with the filament then the filament is not sharp and therefore doesn't need to go in the sharps bin, but you could clip it off before disposing of the sensor in battery disposal since it is contaminated with blood. With Libre sensors you can actually pop out the centre white bit which the filament is embedded in and that could then go in household waste.

The sharps box is for sharps rather than clinical waste (and we don't put plasters/band aids in there because they are "blood contaminated").
I tried this logic on another thread and got nasty responses and threatening PMs…

I tried this logic on another thread and got nasty responses and threatening PMs…
I hope you reported the threatening PMs. That is unacceptable!

My G7 applicator has a lid that can be screwed back on, making a solid, tough plastic container completely containing the needle safely.

My G7 applicator has a lid that can be screwed back on, making a solid, tough plastic container completely containing the needle safely.
This only makes it "safe" in your eyes. If that tough plastic container gets crushed in the bin lorry mechanism and the needle ends up being "liberated", which is perfectly possible, then some maintenance guy could get spiked.

I put them out in a separate bag with my sharps bins @rebrascora They can pick up the bag without being spiked.

And you dispose of it how? Answered!

I hope you reported the threatening PMs. That is unacceptable!
No, didn’t want to cause the person any more upset so didn’t bother reporting, but just warning you in case you get one next after saying plasters don’t go in a sharps box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back