Disposal of Sharps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I came across this on the interweb today

"You may be able to drop off your sharps disposal containers at appropriate chosen collection sites, such as doctors' offices, hospitals, pharmacies, health departments, medical waste facilities, and police or fire stations. Services may be free or have a nominal fee.28 Apr 2021"

Where is this? Where I and diabetic friends it is council collection only! ☹️

My area of Scotland I take them back to the chemist and it gets swapped for an empty xx

Where I am the council come and collect them - always on a Wednesday and they check the address every time - extremely helpful when we moved house that we didn’t have to tell them 15 times like we did with the post office! The council take the sharps boxes and give us empty ones. Normally I have two or three that the council collect and then they leave me an empty two or three.

Last edited:
I was given a sharps box by the hospital when I had to inject Clexane when I had my knee surgery but the hospital pharmacy will not take it back as they say they are not licenced to do so. The Council will only collect if you have multiple boxes, my local pharmacy do not take them.
So at the moment I'm at a loss.

I take mine to the GP surgery and drop it off there for disposal, and then request a new one on the prescription form.

I just contact the local council, they pickup the full sharps bin
and leave me an empty one no problem.

Drop mine off at Drs, no issues just have to make sure sign prescription label.

Others seem to have it easy.
My box is in my prescription so I get a new one when requested.
Getting rid of a full one requires a telephone call to council. I can't request a pick up online. I book in a collection which has to be at least 7 days ahead and must be on Wednesday. They collect at 5am so i have to leave a box full of sharps on an exposed street overnight. It may get blown away or onto the road for someone to drive over. I have to remember to put it out just before I go to bed to minimise the time it is out

I haven't as yet returned one but my first 1 litre is nearly full and there is a collection bin easily accessible in the GP surgery where you leave them.

I take my sharps box, libre sensor applicators and any unused out of date insulin pens back to my surgery.

Getting rid of sharp boxes where I live is an absolute nightmare not just for me but also a friend who has them no one takes them the local council sent me a list of dates they pick up on but never turn up Luckily my son works for a company that deals with medical waste Inc sharp boxes so I just give mine to him and he gets me empty ones when he can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back