Disposal of libre2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi have just started on libre2, where do people dispose of used sensors when they remove them from their arm, many thanks

Abbot website says to put them in battery disposal not in the sharps bin

Abbot website says to put them in battery disposal not in the sharps bin
Which would make more sense (though it's a tiny battery with a lot of other stuff around it, so I'm not sure how well that'll fit with whatever they do with disposed batteries).

From https://www.freestyle.abbott/ie-en/support/faq/question-answer.html?q=Irelandquestion-73

How you dispose of the FreeStyle Libre sensor components after use?​

Used or unused Sensor packaging can go in general waste.
[Or preferably use your cardboard recycling method, if available - JG]

Once the FreeStyle Libre sensor has been placed on the arm, the used applicator (which contains a needle) and the lid can be screwed back together and can be placed in a yellow biohazard bag or sharps box.
[It/they would never fit in the 1L sharps box that get prescribed! - JG]

The used sensors are not sharps, The used sensor should be removed and wiped down with disinfectant, and then disposed of as electrical waste (the same as a battery).
[Most UK supermarkets have battery recycling containers, but I wouldn't call them 'electrical waste' - JG]

I was prescribed a 7litre Sharpsafe box to put the applicator in but I never collected it from the pharmacy and instead I dismantle the applicator and then put just the needle in my 1Litre Sharpsafe. I have a stash of used sensors that I am still contemplating the disposal of. Not sure it feels right to put them in the supermarket battery recycle bins. I guess they will go with me to the tip at some point along with the hard plastics from the applicator which I am hoping can be recycled. I have accumulated a bit of a stash after 3.5 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back