Disposable pens or refillable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
What does everyone use? I'm still on the disposable pens I was first prescribed at diagnosis. When I got a new dsn (old one retired, only had her for a few months), she sent me the refillable echoplus (?) pens through the post, but told me I'd need to call up to get a prescription changed to insulin cartridges. I have no real issue with disposable pens as I generally don't have the did I/didn't I question of when I injected that I know some use the timed caps for, sometimes I wonder about trying it out and asking for some cartridges because it does half units, and occasionally I think that could be quite helpful, as well as the fact it's reusable so therefore a bit more environmentally friendly. What are your experiences/opinions?

What does everyone use? I'm still on the disposable pens I was first prescribed at diagnosis. When I got a new dsn (old one retired, only had her for a few months), she sent me the refillable echoplus (?) pens through the post, but told me I'd need to call up to get a prescription changed to insulin cartridges. I have no real issue with disposable pens as I generally don't have the did I/didn't I question of when I injected that I know some use the timed caps for, sometimes I wonder about trying it out and asking for some cartridges because it does half units, and occasionally I think that could be quite helpful, as well as the fact it's reusable so therefore a bit more environmentally friendly. What are your experiences/opinions?
I’ve always had cartridges, so I can’t do a comparison, but I wouldn’t swap.
1. Half unit is invaluable for me, as I use small amounts.
2.Take less room in the fridge
3.Take less room in hand luggage
4.Less plastic waste
5.I do need the end bit that tells me I’ve injected, for those senior moments.

I can't see any reason not to switch as the cartridges also take up less space in the fridge. But you will need one for basal & bolus & a spare for each, unless your insulins are by the same manufacturer. I was surprised to learn that the cartridges aren't a universal size.

I tried to switch but apparently Semglee isn't available as a cartridge & they don't want to change unnecessarily.

Like @Robin I have used refillable pens since the start.
I was asked my preference when first diagnosed and with very little knowledge could not think of a reason why I would want to use more single use plastic.
In addition to the reasons above, I would add that the refillable pens are far more robust. I did a trial for 6 months where I had to use single use pens and found them flimsy.

I think the only downside is that, if you have dexterity issues, they may be harder to fill. So, unless you have arthritis, for example, I can think of no reason why they continue to prescribe single use pens.

Tresiba prefilled pens and Humalog Cartridges.

I've had a couple of the prefilled tresiba pens jam and had to throw them away. Never had a refillable pen jam. Perhaps the quality isn't the same?

Agree with Robin and Helli. I was first prescribed disposable but had to switch to refillable Echo Plus because I needed half units for my basal; but also liked that they're more environmentally friendly, so got one for bolus too.

Having half units for basal and bolus has proven very helpful! And the Echo Plus 'handles' better than the disposable pens; it just feels better, simultaneously more robust and less chunky. And getting the GP to change the prescription to cartridges was easy. And finally-- in nearly 9 months, I've only once had "the did I/didn't I question", but on that one occasion I was very glad to have the "timed cap"! Especially if you're very busy or stressed or distracted-- you don't have to be a "senior" to have the occasional memory lapse. ; )

I was prescribed re-useable pens as soon as insulin pens became widely available. They’re much better IMO - nicer looking, better quality, better injecting mechanism, take up less room, much better for the environment, etc.

Get the cartridges on your prescription @pawprint91 ! So much better! (Did I already say that? :rofl: )

The timed cap is invaluable, and the refillable take less thumb strength to inject. I have refillable for bolus...single use for basal as does not come in cartridges, but thats a bit problematic as only take 2 units so if i lose weight can't adjust basal. I just have to put the weight back on!

I use refillable pens as well, and have also found the timed caps handy. As a bit of a data nerd I like the smart feature that enables me to scan them into the libre app and I can see (and the clinic also sees, so like the libre data you need to be comfortable with sharing it) how much insulin I am taking over a period.

Another vote for reusable pens. I think the more automatic your diabetes management become the more you get those "Did I?" "Didn't I?" moments (that is my excuse for using it regularly 🙄 ) but the environmental issue clinches it for me. I also love the quality/feel of the pen compared to the plastic ones. Having a spare as back up in case of breakage is important.

I’ve used both. I’ve always used reusable for NovoRapid and reusable are quite durable (if anything like me.. sometimes a bit of a disaster with dropping things!) and I did trial nonreusable pens when I was using Lantus because I couldn’t press the end in on the reusable. The nonreusable were worse, they were really stiff and took up too much space.

I now use Tresiba (same type of pen as NovoRapid) and would never want to use nonreusable

I think the more automatic your diabetes management become the more you get those "Did I?" "Didn't I?" moments (that is my excuse for using it regularly 🙄 )
Yes indeed-- it was precisely when the novelty had worn off and it started being more 'autopilot' that I had my first experience of 'Wait a minute-- I recorded this injection in Libre, but did I actually give the injection??' ...

Turned out, yes I did; but the recording-cap feature meant I avoided worrying about it for hours!

Another vote for refillables, for pretty much all the reasons given above. I only had one experience of disposables and felt really guilty each time I had to throw one out. I’ve had my current Humapens for 5 years and they’re built like tanks, so good for a long time yet

Thank you everyone - you've certainly all given me a persuasive argument to get my prescription changed!

I wonder why they don't give out reusable from the off - maybe cost? As like you say @helli, unless you had a mobility issue it seems odd that they wouldn't just go for the 'best' option!

I wonder why they don't give out reusable from the off - maybe cost?
I doubt it's cost, though I guess that's a possibility. I suspect it's just a bit simpler (so there's less that can go wrong): disposable pens just need needles. Reusable pens need needles and cartridges, and you want different pens for bolus and basal. And a spare. And the pens and cartridges need to align because (annoyingly) the cartridges don't have a standard form.

Probably so you can easily/cheaply switch insulins in the early days, while finding a regime that works for you. If you were given 3-4 re-usable pens at around £50 a pop, & then had to change to another manufacturer, those pens would become redundant & need to be replaced.
NovoNordisk nearly have a monopoly on insulins nowadays.
You can change between NovoRapid and Fiasp and Tresiba and Levemir all with the same pens
Although it is a shame cartridges are not universal like needles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back