Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi909

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Might be the wrong place to post but my lovely type 1 daughter had an interview for a job on the Disney cruise lines. She said the interview was going really well, until she mentioned she was a type 1 diabetic, she told me the woman pulled a face then told her that syringes were not allowed on the boat, my daughter even showed her the pens and needles she uses, but to no avail, she was devastated. But in the end she said it was their lost, so question is does this rule apply if you are a passenger on the cruise line? Emma by the way is a well controlled diabetic, and fully equipped mini hospital so it seems on board but it was the attitude of the lady its not my daughters fault she is what she is!!

Might be the wrong place to post but my lovely type 1 daughter had an interview for a job on the Disney cruise lines. She said the interview was going really well, until she mentioned she was a type 1 diabetic, she told me the woman pulled a face then told her that syringes were not allowed on the boat, my daughter even showed her the pens and needles she uses, but to no avail, she was devastated. But in the end she said it was their lost, so question is does this rule apply if you are a passenger on the cruise line? Emma by the way is a well controlled diabetic, and fully equipped mini hospital so it seems on board but it was the attitude of the lady its not my daughters fault she is what she is!!
Diabetes is covered by the Disability Discrimination Act. There are exceptions, but normally only for situations where it would be dangerous if someone working alone had a hypo.There are even airline pilots with Type 1 these days, I think.
I have never been on any of the huge cruise ships, but none of the medium sized boats or river cruises we have been on have batted an eyelid about passengers having insulin equipment and injecting.
It might be a good idea to ring the Diabetes U.K. helpline, the number is at the top of this page, when they reopen after the holiday. They have experts who can advise and talk you through any action for discrimination you might want to pursue. The attitude of her interviewer was totally inappropriate.

Edit. I had a further thought, Disney is presumably a US owned company, and the ships maybe registered under 'flags of Convenience' anywhere in the world, so I'm not sure which country's laws would apply.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect Disney have both T1D adult and children as guests, so this is abject nonsense. As suggested above, if UK based, quote the DDA at them. Or at least a letter to their main HR department asking for the company policy which states what your daughter was told at interview might be worth a go.

What a shame! That does sound like discrimination to me from how you’ve described it :(

The Helpline would be able to advise is she wanted to make a complaint.

It’s not like diabetes is off the radar of a big entity like Disney. There was even an unmentioned / normalising / not-a-plot-point appearance in Pixar’s Red Panda recently (a dexcom by the look of it).

1650655873367.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back