Discovering success with Victoza

CornishDowser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’ve recently been put on victoza alongside gliclizide and metformin as my BG is all over the place at the moment. I had a baby 9 months ago and have struggled to keep BG in check post birth. I was on insulin during Pregnancy.
I’m on the max dose of victoza and really struggling with foul wind, nausea and projectile vomiting. Sorry for the TMI but its really getting me down and taking precious time away from me and my little one. My other half had to stay off work today as I couldn’t stop being sick. Does anyone have any advice please? I’m really torn as worried about my BG but don’t know how long I can continue feeling like this. Thanks.

Hi Kim, congrats on your little one. I`m hoping that this might help you as it did me:
I have explored a different approach with Victoza which may help others. I am T2 for over a decade and have followed the route most others have, starting with Metformin. My journey arrived at Ozempic and then followed 5 months of
diarrhea and incontinence and finally stopped. I was put on to Victoza, starting at 0.6 mg rising to 1.2. Not long after (couple of days) I was back to all I had wrestled with using Ozempic. My diabetes team wanted to move me on to insulin, but I did not, because Victoza has many other benefits, especially risk of cardio vascular issues. So I went back to 0.6 starting dose. NOW THE GOOD NEWS: I started at 0.6 and then increased the dose by one (1) click of the pen per week. One click = 0.06 mg The following day I had bit of abdominable gurgling which settled after about 24 hrs. I continued the journey towards 1.2. One week the gurgling was more pronounced and lasted a bit longer, so I stayed on that dose for 2 weeks, then returned to one click per week and after 12 weeks I reached 1.2 WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS. I know everyone is different and I was told that what I had done was very unconventional, but hey - it worked and is still working. So I hope I may have stumbled onto an approach that might well work for other people. I should also mention that I have an extreme form of IBS which makes this class of drugs difficult to tolerate, but this gently, gently approach managed to creep past the IBS with no reaction. I hope this might work for you, it`s definitely worth trying. Good luck.

Hello @CornishDowser

Many of the threads that you posted a copy of your experiences on were started by members who have not been seen on the forum for a year or more, so I’ve split your post into its own thread so that it can help people directly :)

cc @Emma19834 @Kim123 @tanya934

When eg Victoza and Byetta were new we used to get shedloads of queries about them all the while, as you's expect with anything new - but comparatively rarely these days.

Have to say @CornishDowser 's approach sounds dead sensible to me!

Back