Disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Just had hbca1 result and it's gone from 41 to 42 in 6 months.
I was hoping it would have stayed the same or gone down.
Any advice for me ?

Any advice for me ?
I wouldn't interpret such a small increase as a trend. Think of it as basically the same, so what you're doing may well be fine.

41 to 42 is the same. It's well within the tolerances of a medical test. I'd say you're doing really well!

As others have said, it’s such a small difference! Are you/were you on any medications and have they changed?

As others have said, it’s such a small difference! Are you/were you on any medications and have they changed?
I was on Sertraline for nearly 6 weeks, I changed to Citalopram 3 and half weeks ago. That is the only difference since my last blood test. I was also taking ferrous fumerate for restless legs syndrome which I stopped taking 6 weeks ago too.

I was on Sertraline for nearly 6 weeks, I changed to Citalopram 3 and half weeks ago. That is the only difference since my last blood test. I was also taking ferrous fumerate for restless legs syndrome which I stopped taking 6 weeks ago too.
Wonder whether that has made a marginal difference? Either way, as others have said, it’s such a small change.

This is probably a silly question! I have a gluconavii so check my blood regularly. I also have Nutracheck app so count my carbs each day. What causes hbca1 to rise. My average carb count has gone down by quite alot or is it blood spikes?? For example I had a real shock after lunch the other day,I had half a large wholemeal bap with cheese, 18g of tortilla chips with houmous and 5 chunks of milk chocolate and i went from 6 to 11!!

This is probably a silly question! I have a gluconavii so check my blood regularly. I also have Nutracheck app so count my carbs each day. What causes hbca1 to rise. My average carb count has gone down by quite alot or is it blood spikes?? For example I had a real shock after lunch the other day,I had half a large wholemeal bap with cheese, 18g of tortilla chips with houmous and 5 chunks of milk chocolate and i went from 6 to 11!!
That is the problem with averages that they even out high and low. The average of 6, 7 and 8 is 7 but so is the average of 11, 5 and 5.
I am not surprised at the 11 after quite a high carb meal. I would guess at 40g carbs, what did you Nutracheck say it was?

Any advice for me ?
It has stayed the same

That is the problem with averages that they even out high and low. The average of 6, 7 and 8 is 7 but so is the average of 11, 5 and 5.
I am not surprised at the 11 after quite a high carb meal. I would guess at 40g carbs, what did you Nutracheck say it was?
A huge 53 carbs! So not sure if it's carb counts or sugar spikes that raises hbcal

Sorry I meant the average amount of carbs I've eaten not average blood sugar levels!

Sorry I meant the average amount of carbs I've eaten not average blood sugar levels!
That was just an example of averages, same could apply to carbs, similar amount at each meal or some low carb and 1 very high carb, same average but the high carb meal would give a high blood glucose reading so more glucose sticking to your red blood cells.

A huge 53 carbs! So not sure if it's carb counts or sugar spikes that raises hbcal
My understanding is : HbA1c gives you the amount of glycated red blood cells (the amount of red blood cells that have glucose attached to them) and is directly proportional to your average BG over the past 3 months (the lifespan of red blood cells).

Carbs are converted by the body into glucose so whether you are considering carbs consumed or just looking at individual BG readings of spikes, the effect is the same, more carbs = more glucose = higher HbA1c if you have higher BG over a period of time.

Hope this helps explain a bit?

My understanding is : HbA1c gives you the amount of glycated red blood cells (the amount of red blood cells that have glucose attached to them) and is directly proportional to your average BG over the past 3 months (the lifespan of red blood cells).

Carbs are converted by the body into glucose so whether you are considering carbs consumed or just looking at individual BG readings of spikes, the effect is the same, more carbs = more glucose = higher HbA1c if you have higher BG over a period of time.

Hope this helps explain a bit?
Yes that does 🙂 thanks so much for the helpful reply from yourself and others on this forum. Its so great that people always respond and help I'm very grateful. The Forum has helped me more than anything else. I will watch my carbs more and try to avoid big spikes.

Could someone give me an idea of the amount of carbs ideally I should eat per meal to reduce my hba1c? I've requested another test at the end of October and I hope to reduce it. I haven't really got any guidelines about amount of carbs to aim for each meal. Also how many carbs is considered to be a high carb meal?thanks again🙂

Could someone give me an idea of the amount of carbs ideally I should eat per meal to reduce my hba1c? I've requested another test at the end of October and I hope to reduce it. I haven't really got any guidelines about amount of carbs to aim for each meal. Also how many carbs is considered to be a high carb meal?thanks again🙂
The suggested guide is no more than 130g per day but by testing your meals then you can establish what YOU can tolerate per meal and of what specific carbs. Many do find that say 20g carb as potatoes will be tolerated but not 20g carbs if rice or pasta or bread, it all depends on your gut and how it metabolises foods and even what you eat the carbs with.
Clearly it is better to spread the carbs you have between the meals you have, for example I only have approx 70g carbs per day but tend to have max 20g for breakfast, 20g for lunch and 25g for dinner then rest being drinks. I don't have snacks.
But only you can determine what is OK for you by testing. The guidance is by keeping before meal reading to between 4-7mmol/l and 2 hours post meal to below 8mmol/l consistently then you might expect a normal HbA1C that is below 42mmol/mol.
Some people find no matter what they reduce carbs to they still hover at around 42mmol/mol

hba1c will rise if blood sugar stays up for long periods of time, especially during the last month before the test. The odd spike for a short period of time won't affect it much.

With T2s, the body struggles to clear the sugar due to lack insulin and/or resistance so it remains in the blood stream.

How long did it take for it to come down from 11 to 4-7?

Any advice for me ?
I read recently that what you do the closer you are to having the A1c test matters more than the further you go back. To the test. Something to be aware of if you're analysing results. Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

hba1c will rise if blood sugar stays up for long periods of time, especially during the last month before the test. The odd spike for a short period of time won't affect it much.

With T2s, the body struggles to clear the sugar due to lack insulin and/or resistance so it remains in the blood stream.

How long did it take for it to come down from 11 to 4-7?
Oh I don't know I would have taken blood just before evening meal which was probably about 3 hrs later and it was 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back