Disappointed with my BS reading tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My 2 hour post-meal reading tonight was 10.3 which is higher than normal for me and i wonder if it was because i had that little bit extra of spaghetti. I only use wholemeal and i weighed out 50g (dry weight) instead of my usual
35g (dry weight). I also weighed out 100g sauce in a jar, mixed some tuan and olives with it but when i dished it up i thought it looked a bigger portion than usual so maybe that is the reason i had a high reading. Also normally i have a glass of red wine (which i have noticed seem to help my BS readings) but tonight i didn't. I guess the only way to tell is if i have the same meal again but less of it - still feel disappointed though :(

Hey, don't worry, that's not too bad for a 2 hour reading when you're new to everything, and the really good thing is that you've worked out the probable cause - seems most likely if you've had a bigger than normal portion and it was a bit too much for you poor pancreas to keep up with. I suspect it will return to much better levels soon. So much of diabetes is trial and error that it can get frustrating at times.

You're doing well!🙂

Hi Carina it was a glitch dont be to disheartened when i was first diagnosed it took me close to 4 months to get into single figure readings i was soo angry with myself and dissapointed but since then i manage to get below 10 now .It hopefully was just a little blip, keep your spirits up xx one good thing you seem to have worked out the possible cause as well so thats good x

thank you both for your comments 🙂 yes you're right, it hopefully was a 'trial and error' thing, also i didn't go for my 30 min walk today, just didn't have time. It's funny but when i was first diagnosed last October i embarked on my lifestyle change straight away and lost nearly 2 stones in weight and religiously wrote down everything i ate but my weight has now come to a standstill (i just need to motivate myself again) and i feel i've lapsed a bit which happens to us all i think and feel that i need that 'push' again to keep me going as i still have quite a bit more weight to get off, i just want to keep going with my good intentions so that when i go back in June for my 2nd diabetic review i will have improved even further - i guess we're only human, i feel a bit down anyway at the moment cos i'm worrying about money but that's another story! - i think a nice cup of tea will help 🙂

thank you both for your comments 🙂 yes you're right, it hopefully was a 'trial and error' thing, also i didn't go for my 30 min walk today, just didn't have time. It's funny but when i was first diagnosed last October i embarked on my lifestyle change straight away and lost nearly 2 stones in weight and religiously wrote down everything i ate but my weight has now come to a standstill (i just need to motivate myself again) and i feel i've lapsed a bit which happens to us all i think and feel that i need that 'push' again to keep me going as i still have quite a bit more weight to get off, i just want to keep going with my good intentions so that when i go back in June for my 2nd diabetic review i will have improved even further - i guess we're only human, i feel a bit down anyway at the moment cos i'm worrying about money but that's another story! - i think a nice cup of tea will help 🙂

Yeah Carina we all have other worries apart from the diabetes that dont help the issue it just aint fair grr.I can see where your going from r.e the motivation when i first got diagnosed the feb march and april i threw myself into it full on wrote down everything tested 3 times a day and was losing weight but then i lapsed stopped testing and taking the medication it just got to much, but now im trying my best to stick in there i know its for my own good so quitting just aint an option for me.xx

Hi Carina,

My advice would be to stop worrying about things and just keep doing what you are doing now - i.e. working at improving your blood glucose levels.

If you are disappointed with any single result just give thought to what you ate and then consider what might have caused the spike - and then either eat less of it next time or even cut it out altogether. In my opinion, rest assured you are likely to leave double figure readings behind very quickly indeed. That's how things worked for me - I can't remember the last time I saw an 8 - even when testing to try to find the peak - i.e. one hour after finishing eating.

You seem to be right on track - just keep working at it!

Best wishes - John

well I was just 12.6 two hours after some paella. And I'm coming down with a cold 🙂

Don't be Too Hard on Yourself

Dear carina,

These "stray" readings happen. Like all who have posted before me, I think you know exactly what went wrong. I think you should be proud of your achievements - keep up the good work.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back