Disability Discrimination Act - T1 diabetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

getcarter76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone...just a quick one as i am filling out a questionnaire at work and always get stuck with anything related to the following:

Do you consider yourself to be disabled as set out under the Disability Discrimination Act?
Disability is a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

Now, i don't class myself as disabled however, when necessary I can get on my high horse about the DDA regarding things like retinopathy appointments as i work full time and have experienced a really poor lack of understanding concerning such matters.

I was wondering if other T1's in particular consider themselves disabled? Or, have any knowledge as to where T1 diabetes stands under the Act?

Thanks Bernie 🙂

i never tick yes on that thing as i don't consider myself disabled. I do however make a note of T1 diabetes on it, just so they know 😉

I don't consider myself disabled really but I will tick the box when applying for jobs etc. As there are some considerations that I have needed to be met. for example the number of nights that I am able to work.

tricky one, and no doubt it could open up a truck of worms.

I don't not consider myself diasbled, but then again I have a disease which part of my body don't work and the DDA I understand relates to the disease I have so by that simple fact I am, however it may depend on the form and what they are getting at.

I'm sure there are people who are dare I say it are "more obviously" disabled would not consider themselves diasabled, as they have a positive outlook and get on with life.

Sometimes we're given labels and don't like them some times they get cut off sometimes they get shown off (fashion reference!!) people do and always will do what suits them individually.

Sorry I know I have been of no help at all just fancied a ramble! This warm weather is doing strange things to me.

In short I would look for another area to make sure they are aware of Diabetes, or perhaps read the DDA for a clearer definition. Be aware if you say no and something happens where you need the support of the DDA! And what is going to happen to this form, just filed away?

I'm done.

Cheers

Rossi 🙂

Ramble away Rossi....no worries there.

I agree with what you say and as said don't class myself as disabled but there is a but.

I am terribley indecisive and was pondering on the question...it was for a staff survey as i work for a large organisation. I noted it on my application form long time ago about being diabetic and that it has 'no adverse effect on my day to day living' so they know all that anyway and this survey remain anonymous.

I am the sort that just gets on with whatever life chucks at me but have had some bad experiences about time off for retinopathy appointments in particular and as i work in the legal field chucked the ol DDA at them but find this area fairly fuzzy. You would think they know better but appear not.

I have ticked the no box but was wondering why i always hesitate when these questions are asked.

Enjoy the sunshine...Bernie 🙂

As far as I am concerned I am not disabled. However, in the eyes of the DDA I am. I have occupational health keeping an eye on me where I work (ironically in a hospital where I am also a patient!) I do let people know that I am diabetic and it always goes onto things like job/university applications.

Note to those applying to uni with diabetes; the uni will ask if you are disabled so say that you have diabetes. Where I am it got me a free insulin fridge in halls and gauranteed me a room in halls. Worth looking at and it's worth all that you have to go through.

Tom

Note to those applying to uni with diabetes; the uni will ask if you are disabled so say that you have diabetes. Where I am it got me a free insulin fridge in halls and gauranteed me a room in halls. Worth looking at and it's worth all that you have to go through.

Tom

agree with this - it got me into the halls i wanted to be in without any hassle.

As far as I am concerned I am not disabled. However, in the eyes of the DDA I am. I have occupational health keeping an eye on me where I work (ironically in a hospital where I am also a patient!) I do let people know that I am diabetic and it always goes onto things like job/university applications.

Tom

I agree with Tom, like most of us I don't consider myself disabled but as far as the DDA is concerned I am.

So although I don't tick yes as being disabled when filling in forms at work I know I am covered by the DDA if I ever had any problems at work.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...much appreciated.

Bernie xx 🙂

I use to never tick it, but when i got my recent job was advised to tick it as i was told if i hypo'd in my work and hadn't ticked it i wouldn't be insured. Not sure if this is true but the employer and union i'm in insisted.

Although as some of you are aware i'm having a terrible time at work and am so glad i did tick the box as my employer tried to deny they knew anything about my diabetes recently. But i was able to get personnel to get my application out and prove they knew. I don't hide the fact either and have had several hypo's in work. But they'll try anything.

I think it's a personal thing, i don't consider myself disabled, i don't think thats the right word but i do require help sometimes if i'm low or sky high. x

My response to this is always along the lines of "it depends". If my BG levels are okay then no, I'm not disabled. However, if I'm having a hypo/hyper then yes. I would consider myself to be at suffering from a disability. Having had problems with previous employers not understanding diabetes I always tick yes and explain why if offered the job or asked in the interview.

I always tick it if I'm applying for jobs... cos I used to work for a large corporation and they used positive discrimination... so any qualifying person that had that ticked would automatically get an interview... admittedly I was already employed with them when i was diagnosed, but I've always kept that in mind in case other companies do...

As to feeling disabled... not really... except when it comes to certain activities that seem to have infinite hoops to jump through to get to do them... and are a lot more effort to do when you are finally allowed..

it works two ways as if you work for a large company diabetics are classified as one of their 'quota' of disabled!!

it works two ways as if you work for a large company diabetics are classified as one of their 'quota' of disabled!!

Hmmm interesting, never thought of that. Its so wrong. Best person for the job it should be no matter who you are.

Bernie 🙂

Hey everyone...just a quick one as i am filling out a questionnaire at work and always get stuck with anything related to the following:

Do you consider yourself to be disabled as set out under the Disability Discrimination Act?
Disability is a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

Now, i don't class myself as disabled however, when necessary I can get on my high horse about the DDA regarding things like retinopathy appointments as i work full time and have experienced a really poor lack of understanding concerning such matters.

I was wondering if other T1's in particular consider themselves disabled? Or, have any knowledge as to where T1 diabetes stands under the Act?

Thanks Bernie 🙂
No I have never ticked the box as I am not disabled in any way, but if I got the job or interview then I would tell them. sheena🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back