Disability benefit assessments 'unfair', says ex-worker

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeLee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A doctor who worked for the private company which assesses people for disability benefits says its methods are "unfair".

Greg Wood, a former Royal Navy doctor, resigned from Atos earlier this month, after working as an assessor for two-and-a-half years.

He told the BBC the system was "skewed against the claimant".

But Atos Healthcare says it submits "clinically justified reports" and completely refutes Dr Wood's claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22546036

When oh when will the government take action to stop this dreadful waste of time, money and resources?

Well, at least one doctor has the courage of his convictions to resign and speak out.

Meanwhile, many other doctors on tribunal panels (2 people, with a legal chair) are overturning decisions at appeals about ESA, and the three person panels that hear DLA / AA appeals include a legal chair, doctor and a care member, who may be disabled themselves / carer of disabled person / HCP eg nurse / physio / social worker etc.

Well, at least one doctor has the courage of his convictions to resign and speak out.

Meanwhile, many other doctors on tribunal panels (2 people, with a legal chair) are overturning decisions at appeals about ESA, and the three person panels that hear DLA / AA appeals include a legal chair, doctor and a care member, who may be disabled themselves / carer of disabled person / HCP eg nurse / physio / social worker etc.

I think this is the point that needs to be highlighted most - the fact that so many appeals succeed must surely mean that people are unnecessarily being put through all this. I agree that assessments need to be made in many cases, but how can the initial assessments be deemed to be fair with such a high proportion being overturned? It's very hard to believe the claim that there is no underlying agenda and that Atos have been given no incentive to get people off the benefits :(

As many of you know, I've been through the appeals process twice and, twice, the report produced by ATOS bore little resemblance to the truth. The omissions, inaccuracies and bold faced lies contained in those reports were stunning. I'm not exaggerating, I wish I were. The second report even contradicted itself in places. How is the DWP meant to make fair and equitable decisions when the data they are given is so deeply flawed? Both times the tribunal members have said, "she should not have been here at all. Why has she been put through this?"

The current system is, as I said, deeply flawed and my experience both times was humiliating and frightening. I was deeply distressed and cried for days afterwards. I'm a strong person on the whole and if it was that hard on me, how much worse is it for those less able?

I've asked before, how much is all this costing the taxpayer each year, and how can it be worth that cost when such a high proportion of the appeals are upheld? Is that not proof enough that something is very wrong?

Hi Alison, sorry to hear of your experiences but good on you for persevering and winning your appeal. I truly believe that there is an agenda to turn down as many claimants as possible in the belief that "genuine cases" can always appeal. In reality many people are scared to appeal or perhaps are not articulate enough to do so without help. Good that this doctor has stood up for his principles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back