Dilemma at 2.00 in the morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Poised with my lantus pen hovering over my thigh at 2.00 am I couldn't for the life of me remember if I'd already taken the dose or not. "OK" I thought, "If I have already taken it this is going to be potentially lethal". I decided not to take it and suffer the consequences of running high possibly for a few days as things begin to settle again.

Normally I take my dose between 9.30 and 10 so I fell asleep earlier then normal and woke up at 2. My blood tests through the night (I did 2) plus first thing don't seem to reflect the fact that I didn't take it.

2.00 I was 8.5
5.30 7.4
7.30 6.2

I guess it might rise during the day today.

What do others do when they find themselves in this situation?

We've all been there! Nowadays, I’m on Levemir, and have an Echo pen which records when I last injected, so I just have to look at the end of the pen.
When I was on Lantus, though, I didn’t have anything, so my plan was, never inject just in case you double dose, and then keep an eye on levels with extra testing, and top up with a correction of bolus every now and then if your readings seem to warrant it.

I'm the same as @Robin. NovoPen Echo keeps me right if I have one of those "Did I? Didn't I?" moments. I also log it on my Libre reader but I have been known to log things and then actually forget to do what I have logged.
You certainly did right in not injecting at 2am to play it safe.

I also echo that I have an Echo pen, but I also leave my used needle and pen lying out so I know I’ve done it. I too wouldn’t have chanced it. You did the right thing.

I also echo that I have an Echo pen, but I also leave my used needle and pen lying out so I know I’ve done it. I too wouldn’t have chanced it. You did the right thing.
I've tried many different strategies to "log" when I've done it. The one problem with this is remembering to also do the thing that reminds you you've done the first thing.o_O

I've tried many different strategies to "log" when I've done it. The one problem with this is remembering to also do the thing that reminds you you've done the first thing.o_O
That sounds familiar. When I went on holiday in August I “hid” my good jewellery incase we got burgled. I can’t find it! It’ll be somewhere daft I’m sure and it’ll turn up when I delve into a cupboard one day. I should have written it down and taken the bit of paper with me!
Getting older is pants, but better than the alternative! :D

This is happening to me more often recently. I tend to not do it again, in case I already have, and then if my blood is high on waking I inject half of the amount I would have the night before (I am on Tresiba and inject once at night between 10-11pm). My DSN recommending doing that when I knew I had forgotten once.

@eggyg - try emptying the airing cupboard and shaking out/refolding all your linen. Still may not find it, but you will feel very virtuous! Any drawers under beds? In with the Xmas decs in the loft?

Each morning, I put the needles for the day in my meds box. If there any left over overnight or next morning, then an injection has been missed. Also sometimes use Novopen 5

But to answer your question, I would probably not inject and then manage any subsequent high. It worked when I missed pm BI, having found a needle in my meds box next morning.

Each morning, I put the needles for the day in my meds box. If there any left over overnight or next morning, then an injection has been missed. Also sometimes use Novopen 5
That works great if you have the same number of meals and snacks each day and never need to do a correction bolus (and have a meds box).
My days are too unpredictable so I am grateful to have a pump.

In my pre-pumping days, I would not risk double basal. Like most (all?) others, I would hope I had taken my basal before bed and correct if I woke high.

@eggy this almost made me laugh, just relief that I’m not the only one. I once hid our valuables then forgot where. Hours of searching but they didn’t turn up. Months later my daughter decided to go through her toy box and created a pile for the Brownies and there was my box all ready for the jumble sale!

Poised with my lantus pen hovering over my thigh at 2.00 am I couldn't for the life of me remember if I'd already taken the dose or not. "OK" I thought, "If I have already taken it this is going to be potentially lethal". I decided not to take it and suffer the consequences of running high possibly for a few days as things begin to settle again.

Normally I take my dose between 9.30 and 10 so I fell asleep earlier then normal and woke up at 2. My blood tests through the night (I did 2) plus first thing don't seem to reflect the fact that I didn't take it.

2.00 I was 8.5
5.30 7.4
7.30 6.2

I guess it might rise during the day today.

I check how many used needles are on the side, but failing that I don’t take it if I’m not sure. Testing bg a few hours later soon shows if you forgot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back