Digital Eye piccies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kojack

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just about to have first ones done. Neighbour is taking me (23 miles each way).
Just hope the effect of the drops wears off before early evening.

Just about to have first ones done. Neighbour is taking me (23 miles each way).
Just hope the effect of the drops wears off before early evening.

Hope it goes well John. I had the drops and it took about 3 hours for them to wear off.

I've had mine done twice now, and not needed drops yet, you may be OK without them

Drops

I didn't have the drops either and mine came back fine but she didn't give them to me as i get light sensitive migraines

I had my first eye-pix done a month ago and had drops then. The nurse doing the test explained what she could see and then showed me the pix and told me what to expect in later years if anything started to go wrong and also told me how they can catch it all before the bleeding at the back of the eye gets really bad. All-in-all a not too bad experience. Things were a bit blurred for around 2 hours and then everything was back to normal. Hope your results are OK ?

Don't worry, the effects wear off after 2-3 hours. They use 2 types of drops - the 2nd is the one that stings a bit, but only for a few minutes.

Thanks all

Didn't need drops, but I only get results if there are probs. Done at a cottage hospital and screened at the Infirmary in Aberdeen later.
A case of no news is good news.

Thanks all

Didn't need drops, but I only get results if there are probs. Done at a cottage hospital and screened at the Infirmary in Aberdeen later.
thats a good attitude to have john, hope everything is ok.

Thanks all

Indeed, although I do wish that someone would tell you if things are fine as soon as they (the photos) are checked, would remove a little of the stress that goes along with it!

Indeed, although I do wish that someone would tell you if things are fine as soon as they (the photos) are checked, would remove a little of the stress that goes along with it!
THATS A GOOD POINT NORTHENER, WHY DONT THEY GIVE YOU SOME IDEA, THEN YOUR NOT WORRYING FOR NOTHING.

I've had mine done twice, took about 3-4 hours for drops to wear off. Luckily I don't drive and I have an understanding boss who said no computer work in the afternoon!

I have to have 2 lots of drops. However since about a year ago, when I was transferred from the diabetic clinic to the main hospital eye department, the doctor just looks into my eyes and does not take a photo. This worries me a lot - it is just 1 person's opinion, what if he missed something? How could anyone prove he had missed it? There is no objective way of judging the state of my eyes. It also takes power away from me - if I can see a photo, the doctor can explain to me the state of my eyes and I can feel empowered in my own care and also see directly the effects of not looking after myself. So I think I will complain next appointment time (March) and then take it further to the PCT if necessary.

I have to have 2 lots of drops. However since about a year ago, when I was transferred from the diabetic clinic to the main hospital eye department, the doctor just looks into my eyes and does not take a photo. This worries me a lot - it is just 1 person's opinion, what if he missed something? How could anyone prove he had missed it? There is no objective way of judging the state of my eyes. It also takes power away from me - if I can see a photo, the doctor can explain to me the state of my eyes and I can feel empowered in my own care and also see directly the effects of not looking after myself. So I think I will complain next appointment time (March) and then take it further to the PCT if necessary.

I absolutely agree with you Lizzie, a photo must be taken so that it can be properly examined and, if necessary re-examined. I'd be surprised to hear that this is something a dr can use discretion on if the equipment is available to take photos - even my optician will do it for ?10, so there's hardly a huge cost saving. Good luck next time around!

The first few times, I had my eyes examined by the optician (no photos) but about two years ago, my PCT started sending technicians out to doctors practices to take photos.

As for the drops, I hate them. Hurt like hell and as I always seem to have ot done on a bright day (even in winter) I end up with a headache for a day afterwards.

I understand what you are saying Northerner, but if I have any worries I can check it out with the Diabetes team at the infirmary. I have macular scarring in one eye from both possibly scarlet fever as a child and being zapped with focused high intensity UV when a student switched on a remote during an experiment:(
The lass that took the pics today was great but obviously not well enough qualified to give a positive opinion.

These first pics are a base to check for any later changes.

THATS A GOOD POINT NORTHENER, WHY DONT THEY GIVE YOU SOME IDEA, THEN YOUR NOT WORRYING FOR NOTHING.

Annemarie08; Thanks for your support. Fortunately I tend not to worry too much about diabetes and any possible complications, but just listen, read and get on with enjoying life to the best of my ability whilst following medical advice.
If any probs pop up I'll try to deal with them.
I am a very lucky guy.

In my area the results letter has come within a week of it been done, which is not too bad.

I understand what you are saying Northerner, but if I have any worries I can check it out with the Diabetes team at the infirmary. I have macular scarring in one eye from both possibly scarlet fever as a child and being zapped with focused high intensity UV when a student switched on a remote during an experiment:(
The lass that took the pics today was great but obviously not well enough qualified to give a positive opinion.

These first pics are a base to check for any later changes.

Annemarie08; Thanks for your support. Fortunately I tend not to worry too much about diabetes and any possible complications, but just listen, read and get on with enjoying life to the best of my ability whilst following medical advice.
If any probs pop up I'll try to deal with them.
I am a very lucky guy.
what a fantastic attitude!! we can all learn a lesson from you.

I had my last eye pics done at a local opticians, so if you are realy worried shop around and see if an opticians in your area can do it. A decent optician with the equipment will do it as they also want the custom. The eye tests are free, but if you need them, that is the place you are more likely to go back to for glasses. It is worth the effort for peace of mind

Tip: take sunglasses

As I always cycle to the opticians / hospital, I always take sunglasses with me - good for keeping dust, insects etc out of my eyes, but also useful for coping with bright sunshine in any situation, but especially after irises are dilated by drops.

Drops (that dilate your eyes) are generally used when they shine a bright light into your eye and look at the back of your eyeball. Drops are not needed for eye photography.
You may have drops before photography if the doc wants a look before you get it done!
There are yellow drops that they use for a different type of eye photography. (Can't remember what that was for - but i know I peed yellow afterwards!)

Glad to hear all is well with your eyes John and can keep reading this board 😉 LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back