Different ways to live with diabetes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A slight difference in diabetic management between my colleague and myself. I would be interested to learn what other people think.

The pair of us are T2. I am quite rigorous with my food and see my reward with the Hba1c results. Although I do eat some carby stuff. My colleague has a very different approach. He allows himself greater slack one day every few weeks or so. When he tests he finds it falls between 7 -10. For example on a higher carby day he might eat pitta bread or a croissant or some dried fruit or a muffin with a meal. What I can't work out is, if this is a sensible approach or slightly reckless?

A slight difference in diabetic management between my colleague and myself. I would be interested to learn what other people think.

The pair of us are T2. I am quite rigorous with my food and see my reward with the Hba1c results. Although I do eat some carby stuff. My colleague has a very different approach. He allows himself greater slack one day every few weeks or so. When he tests he finds it falls between 7 -10. For example on a higher carby day he might eat pitta bread or a croissant or some dried fruit or a muffin with a meal. What I can't work out is, if this is a sensible approach or slightly reckless?
I suppose as long as those occasional days don't become every day then if that is the way it helps keep them on track the rest of the time then sensible, if it is the start of a slippery slope then not very sensible.

I think we often forget the mental impact of diabetes. Relaxing our diet once every few weeks can help with mental health.
Some people may find their mental health needs consistency whereas others find they need rewards/treats.
I think it is important to treat our whole body not just the diabetes part and remember we are different . One solution does not suit all

I think that’s a very personal choice, and each individual will get a feel for their own answer.

For some it might offer an incredibly helpful safety valve, which prevents them from rebelling and “falling off the wagon”, while for others it may open a box of worms and actually make it much harder to maintain the new way of eating on the other days.

If you are happy as you are then there’s no need to adopt it, but it’s always an option if you begin to feel overly restricted and in need of blowing off a little steam?

When you say it falls between 7 and 10, when is this reading taken? To be at 7 two hours after a meal is not particularly bad or abnormal.

If it goes to 10 for half a day then it's probably not a great idea.

When you say it falls between 7 and 10, when is this reading taken? To be at 7 two hours after a meal is not particularly bad or abnormal.

If it goes to 10 for half a day then it's probably not a great idea.
I don't know that level of detail. We were just chit chatting about our different approaches to management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back