Different readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pj1956

I am getting very diffrent readings from two devices. (I have converted them) These were both taken within ten seconds of each other

Which should I use. I am New to this and very confused

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_083411.jpg
    IMG_20220626_083411.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 16
All meters have a margin of error up to 15%. Also, you can test with the same meter three times in a row and get different results. Either go with the meter you feel is most reliable or take the average between the two.

Make my usual comment on this sort of question and that is there is also a sampling error. Even if your meter was perfect you would still get differences because it is not reasonable to assume that the blood glucose level will be the same in every drop. My experiment, which I have reported somewhere on the forum, when I took 10 readings, one after the other from each of my digits suggested that when interpreting readings it is best to round the readings to the nearest whole number (yours would be 10 and 12) and not consider differences of 2 to be significant.

By the way, those readings are a bit high if they are "first thing in the morning" readings. If they are an "hour after eating readings" then they are a bit higher than some might recommend but I would not worry if they were back down an hour later.

You probably know this already, but did you wash your hands before taking the readings? Also did you squeeze a drop of blood out, wipe it away and then squeeze another drop out and test the second drop? These can make a difference to the readings.

There isn't exactly any rules on this.

ISO guidelines state that blood glucose meters should provide results which fall between the upper and lower error bounds, 95% of the time.
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
Within ± 15% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L or more.

Note though "Guidelines", and as they say "the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules"

A BG reading of 10 can be anything from 8.5 to 11.76 in reality on a meter that achieves this.
9 can be anything from 7.65 to 10.59
12 can be anything from 10.20 to 14.12
And it can change from one to the other on the next test, the next batch of strips, temperature..........

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting very diffrent readings from two devices. (I have converted them) These were both taken within ten seconds of each other

Which should I use. I am New to this and very confused

Martin

When you say you have converted them, the one on the left is showing in mmol/L, the one on the right is showing in mg/dL?
So 9.5 and 6.6 in the same units, mmol/L.
Did you use the same finger, wash your hands, use a different area or anything different in the two blood drops?

You are using an monitor costing a few pounds whereas the instrumentation used in the laboratory tests will have cost thousands if not hundreds of thousands. So within 15% isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back