Different readings on 2 meters, from same blood sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewarr1

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I have just purchased to gluconavvi meter as recommended as test strips are cheaper. I also got the contour next one free. Checked my blood sugar at 8.30am and was 8.5, then checked at 10.30 2 hrs after I ate and gluconavvi one says 7.4, thought I would check the contour reading too just to make sure they were the same. using the same blood sample the contour reading was 8.7? Has anyone tried 2 meters before and noticed any difference? Just diagnosed a month ago and want to get these tests right. Want to stick to the navvi one as cheaper for strips, thanks

I haven’t tried two different readers. I have read somewhere on the forum that BG meters have to be within 15% of the actual BG number

There is no ‘right’ with glucose meters @lewarr1 They have a margin of error, as said above, and it’s completely normal to get different results from different fingers with the same meter, for example. All it’s doing is giving you a rough idea of where you are.

Yes there is variation, even with the same blood sample and the actual BG reading will probably be somewhere in between. There is a margin of error on all scientific measurements. Those readings are both within the error margin for BG meters. I think the decimal place gives you an artificial sense of accuracy which doesn't exist. It is also possible that in the few moments (minutes perhaps) between doing one test and the other that there are changes in the blood sample on your finger due to expose to the environment/air. Things like some slight evaporation from the surface and perhaps the blood platelets trying to seal the breach in your skin causing the composition of the blood to change slightly. Blood is a very complex fluid and doesn't necessarily behave like an inorganic liquid, because there are live cells in there moving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back