Different Fingers Different Readings / Broken Reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
After getting down below 7 last week I had a few failings over the weekend. A zero “Potato/rice” crappy carb day of chilli and then steak and veg followed. My get up pre breakfast meter showed today 8.2. It was 8.3 yesterday.
I check again on different fingers. Very different. 21758391-F0EB-4AFA-BC9A-71B126A5251C.png
Is my machine bust, are they generally this useless or I have half a kiwi fruit stuck in it?
?!
I have a Tee2 reader. Any good or do I need something else?

Attachments

• 38DEADFD-2D37-4867-B3D9-0E2767F086C4.jpeg
    38DEADFD-2D37-4867-B3D9-0E2767F086C4.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
They aren't VERY different at all, meters have an allowed error margin of 15-20%

So no it isn't useless or broken it's just the way they work

I find if I have more carbs say on the weekend it will push the numbers up the following week so have to be really strict for about a week after to get them down again.

What you also have to remember is that blood isn’t homogeneous. Ie, different bits of your blood will have slightly different concentrations of glucose in, depending on what muscles are in action and what their energy requirements are. I always seem to get slightly higher readings from my right hand than my left.

What you also have to remember is that blood isn’t homogeneous. Ie, different bits of your blood will have slightly different concentrations of glucose in, depending on what muscles are in action. I always seem to get slightly higher readings from my right hand than my left.
This is so complex!

Those are pretty good, you can count them as all the same, just take the average. If you tested the same drop of blood twice you’d be highly unlikely to get exactly the same answer. If you get one that’s 5.5 and one that’s 10.1 or something then I might worry about it but as @Kaylz says, the meters are not 100% accurate and the glucose in your blood isn’t evenly spread throughout so you can’t expect identical numbers.

@MarkH, that is the sort of variation you might expect from multiple tests. A little while ago I did all ten digits one after the other just to see how reproducible the test results were. I came to the conclusion that you could round to the nearest whole number - the apparent precision given by the decimal point is illusory - and then expect a range of 2. Your results would then be 8,8,7,8,8 and be about what you might expect. Do a few more fingers and you might get a 9.

It does not matter what meter you use, the variation will be the same. The important thing to remember is that decision making on the basis of the readings is not affected. The difference between 7 or 8 is neither here nor there. If you got 10, 11 or 12 when you expected an 7 or 8, then that is a different matter.

Hi
After getting down below 7 last week I had a few failings over the weekend. A zero “Potato/rice” crappy carb day of chilli and then steak and veg followed. My get up pre breakfast meter showed today 8.2. It was 8.3 yesterday.
I check again on different fingers. Very different. View attachment 20123
Is my machine bust, are they generally this useless or I have half a kiwi fruit stuck in it?
?!
I have a Tee2 reader. Any good or do I need something else?
thats a lot closer then what i got the other day so I wouldn't be concert)

Just been for my 6 mile walk (4x a week) and now lowest reading I’ve ever had. I’ll take that as truth, and give myself that bottle of Bordeaux as a reward whilst watching Apprentice
I guess just keep on it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back