Difference in blood glucose meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hello lovely people, I’m back with a new question!

I’ve recently been switched to a Dexcom one from the Libre 2. Started my first sensor this afternoon and I’m not quite convinced yet, but determined to give it a go.

I also still have my last Libre on my arm and noticed that the difference was quite significant (7.5 Libre and 10 dexcom). So I decided to use my blood glucose meter and as it happens I still have two. Out of interest I used both and the readings were 8.0 and 9.1. I feel that’s quite a big difference for blood glucose meters, or is this normal?

And in addition, which one would you choose to use?

Meters have allowance of being withen 15% of your actual blood suger so say your blood sugar is actually 8.5 your meters could show between 7.3 and 9.7

Thank you, it seemed like such a big difference but that actually makes it sound much less big.

Thank you, it seemed like such a big difference but that actually makes it sound much less big.
I used to get frustrated at meter difference toi do I get it I understand a nit more nos . I get it can be a bit confusing eppasilg when youre deciding how much insulin to give.

There is a chart somewhere which shows the range for each reading allowing for the within 15% accuracy, obviously the range is bigger the higher the blood glucose level.

I used to get frustrated at meter difference toi do I get it I understand a nit more nos . I get it can be a bit confusing eppasilg when youre deciding how much insulin to give.
Yes exactly! I finally wrapped my head around the CGM’s not being that accurate and how to base insulin on this, now realising glucose meters having a similar issue is yet another thing to get irritated about haha

Yes exactly! I finally wrapped my head around the CGM’s not being that accurate and how to base insulin on this, now realising glucose meters having a similar issue is yet another thing to get irritated about haha
I found my dexcom one is quite acurte.

Can I ask why you've switched to Dex One?

I left Libre 2 in late 2022 since it was clear that my body and L2 were not compatible. I was spoilt and had L2 in conjunction with the unofficial Diabox app which made the L2 real-time and truly continuous (didn't need to scan) and Diabox was just "better" than LibreLink in various ways.

Dex One was a bit more reliable for me and a bit more accurate. I disliked the loss of recording data, ie doses, carbs and appropriate notes. I also found the 10 day sensors and 90 day transmitters fiddly and thus a bit irritating. Overall Dex One was better for me than L2, but still not great, so I chose to self-fund Dex G7 for a month and found it so very (very) much better I carried on self-funding. I hadn't fully appreciated just how stressful it was to always need to finger prick, even with CGM, before bolus doses (G7 is very accurate and has a calibration capability which is sometimes necessary after the initial start).

I found my dexcom one is quite acurte.
That’s good to hear. I’m obviously only on day one, so hopefully it’ll be accurate too. However today it was out 1.5-2.5 mmol, which isn’t too bad but also not ideal. To be fair though, the Libre was similar for me and the dexcom at least I’ve been able to calibrate!

Can I ask why you've switched to Dex One?

I left Libre 2 in late 2022 since it was clear that my body and L2 were not compatible. I was spoilt and had L2 in conjunction with the unofficial Diabox app which made the L2 real-time and truly continuous (didn't need to scan) and Diabox was just "better" than LibreLink in various ways.

Dex One was a bit more reliable for me and a bit more accurate. I disliked the loss of recording data, ie doses, carbs and appropriate notes. I also found the 10 day sensors and 90 day transmitters fiddly and thus a bit irritating. Overall Dex One was better for me than L2, but still not great, so I chose to self-fund Dex G7 for a month and found it so very (very) much better I carried on self-funding. I hadn't fully appreciated just how stressful it was to always need to finger prick, even with CGM, before bolus doses (G7 is very accurate and has a calibration capability which is sometimes necessary after the initial start).
I was offered the dexcom due to them being more accurate (haven’t noticed this so far though). And because I ideally would like to go onto the G6 or G7, but they need to evidence the clinical need. The nurses told me it will be easier to apply for the G6/G7 once I had tried the dexcom one.

That’s good to hear. I’m obviously only on day one, so hopefully it’ll be accurate too. However today it was out 1.5-2.5 mmol, which isn’t too bad but also not ideal. To be fair though, the Libre was similar for me and the dexcom at least I’ve been able to calibrate!
You find it you dig deep even dexcom will say it may be less acurte in the first 24 hours. Here it explains situations where's it might be less accurate "What should I do if my sensor reading and blood glucose value don't match? | Dexcom" https://www.dexcom.com/en-gb/faqs/w...or-reading-and-blood-glucose-value-dont-match

Last edited:
I was offered the dexcom due to them being more accurate (haven’t noticed this so far though). And because I ideally would like to go onto the G6 or G7, but they need to evidence the clinical need. The nurses told me it will be easier to apply for the G6/G7 once I had tried the dexcom one.
I come under Oxford for Endocrinology, but live in Berks and trying Dex One for a few months after L2 has very recently resulted in G7 being funded by Oxford. That actually is a big relief, but I would otherwise have continued self-funding G7 for as long as I could; knowing that Dex One now can be calibrated would make that CGM more tolerable.

For me I find dexcom one pretty accurate the time where it's likely to be the most inaccurate at the moment is around midday that's because at moment seem to start dropping a little bit earlier one so its more likey to miss hypos than just due to how my body's behavior(on some ocuisons that could also be due to not having enough to drink). Bur I will find a lot of time on these ocuisons pretty quickly after treatment my meter will almost match what dexcom says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back