Difference between Victoza and Byetta

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anybody know what the difference is between Victoza and Byetta?🙂

Victoza is a one injection a day whenever you like, Byetta is twice a day within 60 minutes of eating the first and last meal of the day (timing is important to avoid side effects). There is a new form of Byetta called Bydureon which is once a week injection.

Victoza is a one injection a day whenever you like, Byetta is twice a day within 60 minutes of eating the first and last meal of the day (timing is important to avoid side effects). There is a new form of Byetta called Bydureon which is once a week injection.

Thanks Vicsetter. I have been refused Byetta by NHS on the grounds that my hba1c is too good but private consultant believes it is right for me as I am 'special' and am producing 20 times more insulin than normal and have very bad insulin floods followed by hypos.

I guess I would still be refused Victoza by the NHS on the same grounds.

Are they both basically doing the same job and have the same side effects?

They are both supposed to cause headaches, nausea and diarrhea, but can't say I suffer any side effects.
Victoza is supposed to increase your natural insulin production so not sure that would help you anyway.

Victoza is Liraglutide and Byetta is Exenatide, different drugs from the same family. The drug reps claim that Victoza is less likely to wear your pancreas out and has less side effects than Byetta, but i'm not sure how much of what the sales blurb says. They both increase the ammount of insulin your pancreas secretes and reduce insulin resistance.

Just noticed the Hba1c in your sig, can't see you getting anything prescribed that is aimed at reducing your Hba1c, sounds like you need something that reduces your insulin production not increases it.

Just noticed the Hba1c in your sig, can't see you getting anything prescribed that is aimed at reducing your Hba1c, sounds like you need something that reduces your insulin production not increases it.

Hi Vicsetter and Rachel and thank you again for the replies - my consultant has seen Byettas success in one other person who has my symptoms of floods and massive quick weight gain. As well as suffering from producing too much insulin, I also suffer from insulin resistance. I think what happens is I produce far too much but it doesn't get used correctly- or it builds up to a level where it then floods? I also suffer from Hypos because when the flood happens, my bs drop dramatically - and then I gain the weight. The consultant has one other person he sees with symptoms like mine and Byetta has been very successful in treating it. From what I can recall the other person went on it for 6 months and lost a considerable amount of weight (which I need to) and after this their resistance improved. I think the Byetta helped the floods not happen and this made the weight loss easier - which is exactly what I need. Does this make sense? Because the NICE guidleines say the hba1c has to be 7 or above, the GP is sticking to this, but the consultant is fighting from a different corner - practical examples of it being successful , rather than what it says on paper.

I dont hold out much hope - but we will see. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back